Scary movies - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Scary movies

Old 10-09-2012, 03:21 AM   #1
nukebrewer
Brew the brew!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Oct 2008
Groton, CT
Liked 2865 Times on 1733 Posts

Anyone else hate scary movies as much as I do? The thing is, though, I don't hate all scary movies, just ones involving demons and posession. I watch the cooking channel just so I won't have to see trailers for Sinister and Paranormal Activity 4. Yeah, I know they're just movies, but as someone who believes in God and thus demons, the mere concept makes me need a new pair of underwear. This is probably going to get worse as Halloween approaches, but historically, scary movies are fair game any time of year, so I'm screwed.

Inhopsicated: A Beer Blog

Inhopsicated on Twitter

Old 10-09-2012, 03:38 AM   #2
stamandster
Recipes 

Jun 2011
springfield, ma
Liked 60 Times on 50 Posts

I agree in a similar vein. I don't watch the movies because they glorify these interactions. My loyalties lay with God and to be a watching this would be akin, to me at least, in partaking at the table of the demons. So it would be kind of a slap to his face. It makes a mockery of his ability to keep me protected. Same reason why I don't celebrate Halloween, or practice horoscopes, tarot cards, etc. I know what demons are capable of, but, I also know what God is capable of. I'm not inviting any of them in any way into my mind or my home. What's the scripture "oppose the devil and he will flee from you".

Halloween is an especially annoying time of year since it basically glorifies everything that Satan is about, it really amplifies his violent influence on this world we live in.

Though, I do enjoy a good suspense movie

Old 10-09-2012, 03:52 AM   #3
day_trippr
Recipes 

May 2011
Stow, MA
Liked 3220 Times on 2406 Posts

I've never gone out of my way to take in a "scary movie", so I doubt I've given the genre its due.

So the only actually scary thing I've ever seen in media form was the face peeling scene in Poltergeist. I'm not too proud to admit I literally lept over the couch and hid behind it until my wife let me know it was safe

Cheers!

Old 10-09-2012, 06:49 AM   #4
brewingbound
Recipes 

Sep 2012
Salem, Illinois
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Personally... I love scary movies. Nothing make me feel more alive than being on the edge of my seat waiting to see what's going to happen next. I don't really like the mounted camera/first person type of movies though... But that's just my 2 cents and to each their own.

Old 10-09-2012, 02:15 PM   #5
bottlebomber

Recipes 

Apr 2011
Ukiah, CA
Liked 2737 Times on 2112 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukebrewer
Anyone else hate scary movies as much as I do? The thing is, though, I don't hate all scary movies, just ones involving demons and posession. I watch the cooking channel just so I won't have to see trailers for Sinister and Paranormal Activity 4. Yeah, I know they're just movies, but as someone who believes in God and thus demons, the mere concept makes me need a new pair of underwear. This is probably going to get worse as Halloween approaches, but historically, scary movies are fair game any time of year, so I'm screwed.
They're more than just movies though.. I also believe in God and demons and the idea of putting something like that in my head is absolutely unacceptable. I still remember vividly the 3 minutes or so of Exorcist that I watched 20 years ago. These movies leave lasting scars. If you have desensitized yourself to the point where you find them attractive it really is not a good situation.

Old 10-09-2012, 02:33 PM   #6
inhousebrew
Recipes 

Aug 2012
minneapolis, minnesota
Liked 127 Times on 114 Posts

Coming from the camp that doesn't believe in God and/or demons (and doesn't want this to turn into a discussion on whether not I or anyone else should) I'll watch these movies under one condition: whether or not they are any good. You won't catch me at Paranormal Activity 4 because it looks like a giant pile of crap. A well written and acted, suspenseful and thought provoking "horror" movie though I'll watch any day. The Orphanage is one of my favorites.

Old 10-09-2012, 03:37 PM   #7
landshark
HMFIC
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Mar 2011
Pleasant Hill, Missouri
Liked 147 Times on 118 Posts

I just don't like scary movies. Period. Never have. Doubt I ever will.

I'm more into celebrating October and harvest Festivals, and Octoberfest.

I also don't really care for candy, another reason I could care less about Halloween.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laughing_Gnome_Invisible View Post
OK, So I searched "Betty White nude" ...........At the top of the results, instead of 'Did you mean......" it asked "Are you f#cking serious?....."

Old 10-09-2012, 11:24 PM   #8
JebCkr
Recipes 

Jun 2009
Daejeon, South Korea
Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

So, the more important question here.

Where do you stand on zombies?

Old 10-09-2012, 11:27 PM   #9
Blademaker
Recipes 

Feb 2012
Marrietta, Georgia
Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

When I watch movies, its for entertainment.
Not to get the shit scared outta me.

Old 10-09-2012, 11:31 PM   #10
JonM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Aug 2010
Milwaukee
Liked 2978 Times on 1725 Posts

I'm with the OP. I watched Pet Semetary and then some others like Stir of Echoes. After I watch a movie like that I always ask myself later "Why the F did I do that to myself?" Not a fan.