Ridiculously overshot my intended OG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

damdaman

Reaction score
I usually have pretty crappy efficiency, and I was making a really big beer today, with the recipe calling for an OG around 1.080. I decided to do partial mash with half the base malt + LDME.

I calculated that under normal circumstances I would need about 4lbs LDME to offset the base malt. But seeing as I had two 3lb bags, my efficiency is usually barely 60%, and I wouldn't have minded if I got to around 1.090 anyway, I dumped all 6lbs in.

Well, lo and behold my OG was 1.112! Crap. I went ahead and pitched the yeast (safale us-05) and boiled about a gallon of water which is now cooling. I'm going to dilute it a little with that.

This is a 5gal batch and so adding the new water will bring me up to 6gal - I'm wondering how much that will lower the gravity?

Will it be enough? Can this yeast handle this situation? A FG of 1.020-1.022ish wouldn't be bad for this beer.

Back