Silly Q about Cobra Taps - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Silly Q about Cobra Taps

Old 10-08-2012, 08:37 PM   #1
Oct 2012
Victoria, BC

I've got a nice setup but haven't yet put taps into my beer-fridge. I'm sticking with ye olde "Open door, grab cobra tap" method.

Of course, the Cobra Tap is connected to a loose hose, and I can never find a decent spot to place it. It always flops on the ground, bounces around, or sprays a tiny bit of beer here and there.

Is this an intrinsic danger of the cobra-tap, or does anyone have an ingenious solution (purchased or MacGuyvered) to help wrangle cobra taps when they aren't in use?
Keg: English Bitter

Old 10-08-2012, 08:42 PM   #2
Aug 2011
Ponchatoula, LA
Liked 118 Times on 102 Posts

This is what I macguyvered:

Old 10-08-2012, 08:49 PM   #3
May 2011
Westland, MI
Liked 112 Times on 65 Posts

Take an 8 - 10 inch wire tie.
Strap it loosely around the handle of your keg.
Cut of whatever tag end you have.
Hang your cobra tap on that.

Essentially you are making a loop to hang the cobra tap handle on.

I also use the smaller white cap from carboy caps as an effective cover for the cobra taps faucet.
Schöne Blondine Brauerei
Closed-System Pressurized Fermentation - the future of homebrewing today...!!!

“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication” – Leonardo da Vinci
"A set back is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently" - Henry Ford

Old 10-08-2012, 09:08 PM   #4
Dec 2010
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've used Velcro straps to keep the longer lines kind of lined up, then bungee them to the keg so they dont flop to the fridge floor, but I leave enough slack to make a pour. That helps, but inevitably during a poker game or such event, the cobra taps get tangled up and drip all over the interior. Aletober, Porter and IPA polka dots! I just finished cleaning out the fridge from Saturday night poker. My poker buddies are pigs, beer drips everywhere inside! There is a reason why they call them cobras.. they spit everywhere, walls, ceilings, other kegs. Its time to convert to a full blown kegerator. Beer rant over
"Some see the glass as half full, others see the glass as half empty. I just wonder who the hell has been drinking my beer!"
- As seen on a T-Shirt in Portland, Oregon

Old 10-09-2012, 03:09 AM   #5
May 2011
Stow, MA
Liked 3082 Times on 2308 Posts

I have been using a picnic tap to "sample" brews that haven't made it to the keezer yet (I have a separate fridge that holds four kegs for carbing and stand-by). I just hang the tap handle on the corny handle, far enough back to not get hit by the fridge door. Seems somewhat risky but haven't gotten bitten yet

Old 10-09-2012, 03:23 AM   #6
Sep 2009
Papamoa, New Zealand
Liked 311 Times on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by raouliii View Post
This is what I macguyvered:

Friggin sweet! This is what I need to do to stop the drips going all over the place and the mold growing in my keezer - that and gert some damprid!

Old 02-16-2014, 07:39 PM   #7
Jul 2011
Warrensburg, Missouri

I like the oak hanger with the screw in hooks. Thanks for the idea. Here is my modification of that idea. I just wedged a 1x3 on the side of the fridge with 4 hanger hooks.
"Tan and lean like a long neck bottle." Zac Brown Band.