New Hop Variety: Belma- Puterbaugh Farms - Page 8 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > New Hop Variety: Belma- Puterbaugh Farms

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2012, 02:40 PM   #71
nickmv
Recipes 
 
Mar 2010
Memphis
Posts: 789
Liked 66 Times on 50 Posts


Is anyone else getting over 16oz on non-Belma hops? I got Amarillo and Cascade, and thought my scale was just off, because I shoulda had 16 2oz bags after re-packaging, but ended up with 19.


__________________
Primary #1 (SS Brew Bucket):
Primary #2 (SS 7G Chronical):
Secondary #1:
Secondary #2:
Kegged & Waiting:
ON TAP: Oatmeal Stout[br /]Holiday IPA

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 02:49 PM   #72
jwible204
Recipes 
 
Feb 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 385
Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by shoreman View Post
As I was packaging these up last night they reminded me of the super galena hop a bit but with more citrus and tropical - wonder if citra crossed with super galena?
As far as I know Puterbaugh Farms isn't licensed to grow Citra, so that's probably not accurate. They could, however, try and come up with their own combo that has characteristics similar to Citra.


__________________
www.fivemilebrewingcompany.com

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 02:50 PM   #73
nickmv
Recipes 
 
Mar 2010
Memphis
Posts: 789
Liked 66 Times on 50 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by jwible204 View Post
As far as I know Puterbaugh Farms isn't licensed to grow Citra, so that's probably not accurate. They could, however, try and come up with their own combo that has characteristics similar to Citra.
HopsDirect had Citra this year. Unless they imported it from elsewhere, which seems unlikely.

In related news, the Citra disappeared in a matter of a day or 2.
__________________
Primary #1 (SS Brew Bucket):
Primary #2 (SS 7G Chronical):
Secondary #1:
Secondary #2:
Kegged & Waiting:
ON TAP: Oatmeal Stout[br /]Holiday IPA

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 02:52 PM   #74
jwible204
Recipes 
 
Feb 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 385
Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by nickmv View Post
HopsDirect had Citra this year. Unless they imported it from elsewhere, which seems unlikely.

In related news, the Citra disappeared in a matter of a day or 2.
They've had it in years past too, but they don't grow it there. They specifically label the hops that are grown on the farm, Citra is not one of them. It was/is owned by HopUnion I believe. Yakima Chief actually cultivated Citra, among other new hops, and HopUnion is the family of farms licensed to grow/sell them. HopsDirect simply buys/resells it.
__________________
www.fivemilebrewingcompany.com

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:26 PM   #75
nickmv
Recipes 
 
Mar 2010
Memphis
Posts: 789
Liked 66 Times on 50 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by jwible204 View Post
They've had it in years past too, but they don't grow it there. They specifically label the hops that are grown on the farm, Citra is not one of them. It was/is owned by HopUnion I believe. Yakima Chief actually cultivated Citra, among other new hops, and HopUnion is the family of farms licensed to grow/sell them. HopsDirect simply buys/resells it.
Any ideas where else to get 2012 hops in 1lb quantities. I missed out on Citra and Centennial from Hops Direct, and am hoping to find elsewhere.
__________________
Primary #1 (SS Brew Bucket):
Primary #2 (SS 7G Chronical):
Secondary #1:
Secondary #2:
Kegged & Waiting:
ON TAP: Oatmeal Stout[br /]Holiday IPA

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:29 PM   #76
jwible204
Recipes 
 
Feb 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 385
Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by nickmv View Post
Any ideas where else to get 2012 hops in 1lb quantities. I missed out on Citra and Centennial from Hops Direct, and am hoping to find elsewhere.
Labelpeelers.com has (1)lb increments, looks like they are still in 'pre-order' for 2012. My LHBS will order me 1 lb bags if I ask them to, check with your LHBS as well.
__________________
www.fivemilebrewingcompany.com

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 04:14 PM   #77
nickmv
Recipes 
 
Mar 2010
Memphis
Posts: 789
Liked 66 Times on 50 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by jwible204 View Post
Labelpeelers.com has (1)lb increments, looks like they are still in 'pre-order' for 2012. My LHBS will order me 1 lb bags if I ask them to, check with your LHBS as well.
Thanks! In for 1lb of Citra and 1lb of Centennial.


Glad I found some...


Side note: I have trouble supporting my LHBS on anything other than yeast. It's funny...people say "support your LHBS", but when that involves paying on avg 25% or more over the online price, it just cant be justified, even after shipping is factored in. I recently had some grain bills filled out (two 6%ish beers -- hefe and a pumpkin), and it came out to 86 dollars. For all-grain. Needless to say, that was the 1st and last time I got a grain bill filled out at the LHBS.
__________________
Primary #1 (SS Brew Bucket):
Primary #2 (SS 7G Chronical):
Secondary #1:
Secondary #2:
Kegged & Waiting:
ON TAP: Oatmeal Stout[br /]Holiday IPA

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 05:07 PM   #78
jwible204
Recipes 
 
Feb 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 385
Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by nickmv View Post
Thanks! In for 1lb of Citra and 1lb of Centennial.


Glad I found some...


Side note: I have trouble supporting my LHBS on anything other than yeast. It's funny...people say "support your LHBS", but when that involves paying on avg 25% or more over the online price, it just cant be justified, even after shipping is factored in. I recently had some grain bills filled out (two 6%ish beers -- hefe and a pumpkin), and it came out to 86 dollars. For all-grain. Needless to say, that was the 1st and last time I got a grain bill filled out at the LHBS.
Agreed, my LHBS prices on grain are ridiculous. I buy my base malts in Group Buys on here and hops from HopsDirect. I buy yeast and specialty grains from the LHBS, otherwise I'd be broke.
__________________
www.fivemilebrewingcompany.com

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:58 PM   #79
runningweird
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Dec 2009
State Line, PA, Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,073
Liked 90 Times on 66 Posts


I got my hopsdirect order yesterday - 1 lb of chinook and 4 lbs of Belma - I thought for 6 bucks a pound how can I lose. They smell nice, kind of a combination of citra and columbus - piney and fruity. I will be dry hopping a simple cascade pale ale with belma in about two weeks to see what they are like as an aroma hop.

missed out on the citra/centennial/amarillo through hops direct. Going to put on my big boy pants and plunk down the cash on hop pre order from label peelers.
__________________
My 6 Tap Long Draw Tower Build:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/long...-tower-271578/

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:11 PM   #80
jwible204
Recipes 
 
Feb 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 385
Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by runningweird View Post
I got my hopsdirect order yesterday - 1 lb of chinook and 4 lbs of Belma - I thought for 6 bucks a pound how can I lose. They smell nice, kind of a combination of citra and columbus - piney and fruity. I will be dry hopping a simple cascade pale ale with belma in about two weeks to see what they are like as an aroma hop.

missed out on the citra/centennial/amarillo through hops direct. Going to put on my big boy pants and plunk down the cash on hop pre order from label peelers.
Why not wait for the pellets? I only bought a lb of Amarillo and Citra leaf because I'll be buying the pellets as soon as they come out.


__________________
www.fivemilebrewingcompany.com

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rogue Farms Hops Agent Brew Recipes/Ingredients 1 04-14-2010 07:25 PM
Sun hop variety? DarthHumulus Recipes/Ingredients 3 03-20-2010 10:55 PM
In Praise of Puterbaugh Farms/Hops Direct permo Recipes/Ingredients 61 03-19-2010 04:12 AM
Damn, Puterbaugh needs a new scale... Evan! Recipes/Ingredients 9 09-25-2007 03:58 PM
FYI: Puterbaugh Farms Evan! Recipes/Ingredients 2 04-11-2007 06:13 PM


Forum Jump