I know my (brand new!
) electric setup isn't exactly perfect, but it works. Any thoughts on how *safe* it is? I want to make sure I live old enough to get cranky.
It was setup with the advising of an electrician, and the help of a friend who setup something similar for himself. This system has been used, electrocution-free, for several years now. Not that I trust anecdotal evidence!
I've got two 120V 2000W hot water elements mounted to the bottom of my pot. Lopped ends off of a 3-prong extension cord and wired it up, used a self-boring conductive screw to tap into the base of the heating element for a ground.
Wrapped it all up in electrician's tape and used a piece of PVC piping to cover the whole thing up.
The element is just screwed on (using Electric Brewery's advice on weldless fittings) with a silicon O-Ring.
Reading some other threads, I believe the silicon o-ring is on the wrong side, but I haven't had leaks yet.
Inside of the pot:
Uncovered wiring (the part I'm most worried about):
(I have yet to epoxy it or something so the cap stops slipping off).
The not (yet) leaking o-ring on the inside:
Any thoughts? Am I going to kill myself? Any quick fixes I can do to make it better? Long term suggestions for an upgrade?