When To Drink an IPA? - Page 4 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > When To Drink an IPA?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2012, 08:38 PM   #31
unionrdr
Heavyweight homebrewing author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
unionrdr's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2011
Sheffield, Ohio
Posts: 38,545
Liked 3623 Times on 3112 Posts


Nugget is a bit earthy compared to citra. And the 45 min addition is rather pointless. I'd do 60,20,& 10 myself. Then dry hop for aroma.


__________________
NEW books on amazon/Kindle! Check it out now...
Home Brewing- https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PBAP6JO
Distopian Sci-Fi- https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NTA0L6G
New! John Henry- https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GBV3UXU

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:58 PM   #32
Yambor44
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Yambor44's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2008
Ocala Florida
Posts: 2,109
Liked 84 Times on 56 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr View Post
Nugget is a bit earthy compared to citra. And the 45 min addition is rather pointless. I'd do 60,20,& 10 myself. Then dry hop for aroma.
Is this due to the lower AA's than Citra?

Edit: I thought it read "early" not "earthy".



 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:03 PM   #33
unionrdr
Heavyweight homebrewing author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
unionrdr's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2011
Sheffield, Ohio
Posts: 38,545
Liked 3623 Times on 3112 Posts


Earthy,like fuggel. Kinda like portabella mushrooms are earthy. Just no mushroom flavor.
__________________
NEW books on amazon/Kindle! Check it out now...
Home Brewing- https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PBAP6JO
Distopian Sci-Fi- https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NTA0L6G
New! John Henry- https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GBV3UXU

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:07 PM   #34
Yambor44
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Yambor44's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2008
Ocala Florida
Posts: 2,109
Liked 84 Times on 56 Posts


Gotcha. I don't think I like that. I was actually making a clone of something with this recipe and at the last minute changed the name. Wish I could remember what it was.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 05:12 PM   #35
14thstreet
Recipes 
 
Apr 2009
Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 407
Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts


Yambor, I'm not sure you are getting an appropriate answer for the context you've put your beer in. What about the beer do you not like? On addressing your recipe, it looks like you are using 66% of your hops for bittering. With the somewhat low gravity and high attenuation, you're putting the emphasis of this beer on bittering. You have a scant 1.5 oz of flavor/aroma hops and NO dryhop (yet) to speak of for an 11 gallon batch. You'll actually see most typical west coast ipas have this hop balance the other way around, ie, toward the flavor/aroma. Is that what you are after?

You may be waiting for the bitterness to meld in with the rest of the beer but there is not much else to meld with, IMO. Dry hop it (2-5oz or more!).
__________________
Fermenters: Helles, Oktoberfest
Bottled: Old Peculier, Dopplebock, Belgian ale with homemade candi syrup (2 varieties), Berliner weisse
Kegs: Bitter
On Deck: Hefeweizen

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:31 PM   #36
Yambor44
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Yambor44's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2008
Ocala Florida
Posts: 2,109
Liked 84 Times on 56 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thstreet
Yambor, I'm not sure you are getting an appropriate answer for the context you've put your beer in. What about the beer do you not like? On addressing your recipe, it looks like you are using 66% of your hops for bittering. With the somewhat low gravity and high attenuation, you're putting the emphasis of this beer on bittering. You have a scant 1.5 oz of flavor/aroma hops and NO dryhop (yet) to speak of for an 11 gallon batch. You'll actually see most typical west coast ipas have this hop balance the other way around, ie, toward the flavor/aroma. Is that what you are after?

You may be waiting for the bitterness to meld in with the rest of the beer but there is not much else to meld with, IMO. Dry hop it (2-5oz or more!).
Since it is on tap already, how should this be done? Pellets or leaf straight in or in a sanitized hop bag?

I have been trying to make a "lighter" style of IPA. More of a session IPA If that makes any sense. Is that possible, a 5-6% ABV IPA?

Rob

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:36 PM   #37
Krovitz
Recipes 
 
Mar 2012
Quincy, MA
Posts: 582
Liked 123 Times on 74 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Yambor44

Since it is on tap already, how should this be done? Pellets or leaf straight in or in a sanitized hop bag?

I have been trying to make a "lighter" style of IPA. More of a session IPA If that makes any sense. Is that possible, a 5-6% ABV IPA?

Rob
You're a homebrewer. Everything's possible.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:22 PM   #38
Yambor44
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Yambor44's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2008
Ocala Florida
Posts: 2,109
Liked 84 Times on 56 Posts


***Note to self.... If you plan on adding 2.5 ounces of pellet hops directly to an already carbonated beer...do so very quickly and get the lid back on ASAP...

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:30 PM   #39
tre9er
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Lincoln, NE
Posts: 4,369
Liked 242 Times on 197 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr View Post
Nugget is a bit earthy compared to citra. And the 45 min addition is rather pointless. I'd do 60,20,& 10 myself. Then dry hop for aroma.
Nugget is a fantastic IPA hop. It's earthy but floral, excellent for bittering as well as flavor/aroma. One of my best IIPA's is all Nugget hops. It's low cohumulone also makes it good for bittering as it doesn't contribute much other than smooth bitterness.
__________________
_________________________________
Skal!
Den Faaborg Bryggeri

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:31 PM   #40
14thstreet
Recipes 
 
Apr 2009
Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 407
Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts


If I've dryhopped in the keg, I've put my hops (pellet or whole) in a hop bag and tied it halfway down my liquid out tube. Sanitize your hop bag before doing this just to be safe. You could also weight it down too. The idea is that you don't block/clog the dip tube with hop or bag. Others have used a tea infusion ball.


__________________
Fermenters: Helles, Oktoberfest
Bottled: Old Peculier, Dopplebock, Belgian ale with homemade candi syrup (2 varieties), Berliner weisse
Kegs: Bitter
On Deck: Hefeweizen

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Would you keg/drink this jpinetti General Beer Discussion 4 10-06-2012 09:28 PM
To drink or not to drink? (w/ pics) BGates14 General Beer Discussion 35 09-18-2012 02:35 PM
Drink to relax or drink because your relaxed? Nowuries General Beer Discussion 23 02-25-2012 09:30 AM
To drink or not to drink.. Pivot General Beer Discussion 17 11-03-2009 09:44 PM
How much do you drink? chode720 General Beer Discussion 87 10-23-2009 07:41 PM


Forum Jump