Raw Vegan brewing.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So how long does one need to mash a vegan, and at what temp, to get a decent beer out of them?

Uh oh. This thread's getting long enough that the same jokes are showing up for the third time. :D

Anyone else wonder where the OP went? :fro:

yeah, I couldn't be bothered to read all 11+ pages of "my lifestyle is better than yours" bickering.

Ok made it to the end, here's what I ended up with a thread that OP wanted a Raw beer ended up vegan/veg vs primal/carnivore with liberal amounts of DELICIOUS BACON thrown about. So all I found out is I am a meat eating vegetarian omnivore beer drinker who ran out of beer in his glass and is going to get a beer and :( cuz, I gots no bacon! :D

To me it tastes sort of earthy when raw.. I can see why someone would think of it as a dirt flavor lol. Most people seem to object to the texture, which is also something that's effected a lot by how you cook if.

I guess I could see the earthy part, considering the gypsum that goes in to it. Chalky could come across as earthy I think. I eat it raw all the time, though, so I guess I'm used to it (It kind of grosses the wife out.).

Painful. I couldn't bring myself to read everything, got to the point where someone asked what meat contributes over not meat. Call me crazy, but wasn't it something like discovering the ability to cook meat that helped contribute to the growth of the primitive hominid's brain, eventually separating homo sapiens from other primates? Sorry, I have nothing against veganism, I love animals too, but to try to say that humans weren't intended to eat cooked food or meat is one of the silliest things I've ever heard, every time I hear it.

All I know is the next time I hear one of these too good for you stuck up women tell me the whole spiel on how eating meat is morally wrong(not even going to get into the fact animals eat other animals) and that slaughtering animals to eat is so taboo.... that I point out there leather belt or shoes. I'm going to enjoy this.

Painful. I couldn't bring myself to read everything, got to the point where someone asked what meat contributes over not meat. Call me crazy, but wasn't it something like discovering the ability to cook meat that helped contribute to the growth of the primitive hominid's brain, eventually separating homo sapiens from other primates? Sorry, I have nothing against veganism, I love animals too, but to try to say that humans weren't intended to eat cooked food or meat is one of the silliest things I've ever heard, every time I hear it.

Biological necessity ceased to be the primary motivator in human evolution something on the order of 200,000 years ago. Did humans evolve eating meat? Sure. That doesn't make it necessary, though, does it?

If you like the idea of evolution, you should respect the fact that it is atelic: humans weren't intended for anything. Perhaps eating meat is natural, but the entirety of human civilization is story of undoing nature. There's nothing natural about football or applesauce, either. (Or beer, for that matter!)

For what it's worth, I love meat. I just turned my mash tun into a sous vide cooker, and it's a beautiful thing. I'm not sure I'd appeal to nature in justifying it, though. :mug:

Actually it's cooking food, not necessarily meat. Plus, most vegans (that I've encountered at least) don't say we weren't intended to eat meat. The point is that we don't have to.

All I know is the next time I hear one of these too good for you stuck up women tell me the whole spiel on how eating meat is morally wrong(not even going to get into the fact animals eat other animals) and that slaughtering animals to eat is so taboo.... that I point out there leather belt or shoes. I'm going to enjoy this.

Well, that's the sexist quote of the day...though I suppose you could just be speaking of your experiences with specific women.

Biological necessity ceased to be the primary motivator in human evolution something on the order of 200,000 years ago. Did humans evolve eating meat? Sure. That doesn't make it necessary, though, does it?

If you like the idea of evolution, you should respect the fact that it is atelic: humans weren't intended for anything. Perhaps eating meat is natural, but the entirety of human civilization is story of undoing nature. There's nothing natural about football or applesauce, either.

For what it's worth, I love meat. I just turned my mash tun into a sous vide cooker, and it's a beautiful thing. I'm not sure I'd appeal to nature in justifying it, though. :mug:

D@mnit Mal, you're always so d@mn rational!! I should know better than to not cover every single base when posting on the same threads as you! Yes, you're right, it's not "necessity", but I do think it's completely natural. And likewise, it's completely natural to not eat meat too.
Now, if I may, I'm going to enjoy a wonderful pepperjack cheese burger tonight for dinner. Edit: the wife just asked if I wanted bacon in my burger. Hell yeah I want bacon in my burger!!

afr0byte said:
Well, that's the sexist quote of the day...though I suppose you could just be speaking of your experiences with specific women.

Lol this really gave me a well needed laugh. I am talking about specific women. I have a few friends that like to give me an ear full about my lifelong love for chicken wings. I never thought the best response was literally under their feet.

NordeastBrewer77 said:
Painful. I couldn't bring myself to read everything, got to the point where someone asked what meat contributes over not meat..

That was me. Sorry about that. I mean I guess I know most meats are high in B vitamins and protein but I didn't know that meat was responsible for civilization as we know it! :D

That was me. Sorry about that. I mean I guess I know most meats are high in B vitamins and protein but I didn't know that meat was responsible for civilization as we know it! :D

:p I was more or less just being my ******-y self man. Had I realized that it was you, I'd've been a bigger d-bag. :ban: Don't sweat it, MalFet set me straight. And.... my bacon pepperjack cheeseburger was off the hook. My wife's been on a health kick, I think she even made herself a veggie burger tonight. But ground sirloin, bacon and pepperjack cheese for me and the boy. Caused me to evolve a bit, horizontally :tank:

What about "Cumberland Brandy?" It's not really a brandy, but a wheat wine. Not like Aventinus or Weyerbacher XIV, but an actual wine. From what I gather, you throw water, sugar, wheat, and yeast into a bucket and let it ferment and age a looooong time. Sounds like sugar wash macerated in wheat, but people who propagate the recipe compare the taste to whiskey.

My point is it's possible to get a raw beverage with recognizable grain flavors, and carbonating it's not hard. I know that finding enough raw sweetener without getting expensive or altering the taste (sucanat maybe?) would be hard, and the hop barrier is still there. I don't know if anyone's tried leaving hops in a fermenter for a couple years and wishing really hard or if maybe we're just stuck with gruit.

Back