Cheers to my uncle Hank, may he rest in peace. - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Cheers to my uncle Hank, may he rest in peace.

Old 10-07-2012, 03:39 AM   #1
annasdadhockey

Recipes 

Jan 2009
Kingston, PA
Liked 41 Times on 35 Posts

I got a phone call from my mother last night. I could hear in her voice she was very upset. I figured my dad, or my grandmother(both 82 years old..., don't ask) had passed. I damn near blacked out when she told me my uncle Hank had a massive heart attack and died. ****ing WHAT?!?!?!?!?! I can't believe it, i'm shocked, stunned, ****ing incredulous. How does this happen? He was 59, 20 years in the Army, 6' 165 lbs, great health, loving wife of 10 years, all around class act. It just doesn't feel real. Needless to say, I'm drinking heavily tonight. I know it won't bring him back, but at least it keeps me from totally losing my ****. We were very close, and this is going to take a long time to reconcile in my own mind. Very sad. i'm lost. I don't know what else to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc View Post
Things are going great too. I think I've only punched her in the face 3 times!
FERMENTING: Heady Topper Clone?
CONDITIONING: 40 gallons KBS clone in a Jim Beam Barrel (since 11/24/12)
DRINKING: Smoked Robust Porter, Orange Coriander Pale Ale #5
THINKING: first foray into lagers?

Old 10-07-2012, 05:27 AM   #2
turvis
Recipes 

Jan 2012
Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts

Sorry for your loss.

Old 10-07-2012, 05:32 AM   #3
LabRatBrewer
Lost in a Maze
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Dec 2011
Laguna Niguel, CA
Liked 1046 Times on 728 Posts

That is way too young. Sorry for your loss.

Old 10-07-2012, 02:06 PM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Liked 7728 Times on 5426 Posts

Oh, no. I'm sorry to hear of this. You have my deepest sympathy, for you and your family. I can't believe how sudden this was, and how your family must feel.

Old 10-07-2012, 04:11 PM   #5
CreamyGoodness
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jul 2011
Ossining, NY
Liked 2133 Times on 1409 Posts

My condolensces. I just lost my grandmother on Thursday, so I kind of know what you mean.

YES, WE HAVE TRIED OTHER YEASTS! USE BREAD YEAST FOR JAOM!

Old 10-07-2012, 06:51 PM   #6
unionrdr
Heavyweight homebrewing author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Feb 2011
Sheffield, Ohio
Liked 3673 Times on 3157 Posts

Sorry to hear that,I hate getting "THE call". Pop was 69,mom was 64...both gone in the 90's. You know you're really alone when?...
Kinda unsettling to hear,as I'm 56,& with bad joints & such from too many decades of heavy manual labor,this stuff gets me to wondering. I'll drink to your loss in a bit. These things are hard to take with someone you love & were so close too. Pop wasn't just my father. He was my fishin/huntin buddy,barroom buddy,co-worker...so I feel ya man. It's tough,no gettin around it. So I'll tell ya somethin a co-worker told me once during divorce/dark times..."You never forget it,it just gets easier to live with". Try to remember the good times. & don't hold it in,you must grieve,because if you don't,well,...that way lies madness. Trust me. I've been there,including with my lil brother back in '72. Damn my big mouth...
New! John Henry- https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GBV3UXU

McBrewskie Likes This 
Old 10-07-2012, 09:02 PM   #7
annasdadhockey

Recipes 

Jan 2009
Kingston, PA
Liked 41 Times on 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr View Post
Sorry to hear that,I hate getting "THE call". Pop was 69,mom was 64...both gone in the 90's. You know you're really alone when?...
Kinda unsettling to hear,as I'm 56,& with bad joints & such from too many decades of heavy manual labor,this stuff gets me to wondering. I'll drink to your loss in a bit. These things are hard to take with someone you love & were so close too. Pop wasn't just my father. He was my fishin/huntin buddy,barroom buddy,co-worker...so I feel ya man. It's tough,no gettin around it. So I'll tell ya somethin a co-worker told me once during divorce/dark times..."You never forget it,it just gets easier to live with". Try to remember the good times. & don't hold it in,you must grieve,because if you don't,well,...that way lies madness. Trust me. I've been there,including with my lil brother back in '72. Damn my big mouth...
Thanks Man. That helps.

Thank you everyone for your support. It's gonna be rough for awhile, but it'll get easier eventually. He was a Corona drinker, so I may have to pick some up and drink it in his honor.

Cheers everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc View Post
Things are going great too. I think I've only punched her in the face 3 times!
FERMENTING: Heady Topper Clone?
CONDITIONING: 40 gallons KBS clone in a Jim Beam Barrel (since 11/24/12)
DRINKING: Smoked Robust Porter, Orange Coriander Pale Ale #5
THINKING: first foray into lagers?

Old 10-07-2012, 09:10 PM   #8
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Apr 2009
☼ Clearwater, FL ☼
Liked 6709 Times on 3964 Posts

That sucks. I got one of those calls once for my uncle, same deal, he was only 44 though. Looked like a frigging swimmer, lean and tall and athletic. He was a great guy, too, my Uncle Jim. Class act. Sometimes the best go first. Just writing this makes me sad.

So drink and weep and let it all out - and I'll join you and raise one for your Uncle Hank right now.

Old 10-07-2012, 10:02 PM   #9
cheezydemon3
Recipes 

Nov 2009
louisville
Liked 1671 Times on 1251 Posts

life goes on. I hope you take that in the best way.

I mean that sympathetically and I take comfort in that myself for I have suffered a loss too.

Old 10-07-2012, 11:41 PM   #10
alpha224
Recipes 

Jul 2012
Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts

Hey, I am no stranger to loss, myself... And it never gets easier. But if there is one thing I can add, it would be this: Loved ones might leave us physically, but never leave our memories or our hearts. So share those memories and the love felt, and celebrate the life that was.