Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Electric brewing setup

Old 10-06-2012, 11:01 PM   #1
questionasker
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Default Electric brewing setup

Hey all

I've been considering converting my system from stovetop to electric. I have a 50L stainless pot which is used as a HLT and a boil kettle. This will be wrapped in some form of insulation such as foam or hot water cylinder wrap.

Before I go any further, I will mention that my power supply is 240V (not exact) 10A. This means that only 2400W can be drawn, right? This seems confusing, as I seem to remember my kitchen jug pulling somewhere around 3000W... Does this mean I can use a 3000W element?

My current plans are to purchase an element, a box of some sort to house the components, an IEC socket, and an IEC cord. This seems a fairly common setup among brewers. And yes, before anyone asks, it will all be grounded suitably.

I may implement a method of controlling temperature at some stage. I see there are relatively cheap PIDs on ebay, but they do not have an SSR. I found a tutorial showing how to remove the mechanical relay and replace it with the SSR , and that seems simple enough. Can anyone explain the setup of this in more detail?

The elements I am looking at buying at the moment are this or this. I can't find any ULWD elements, so unless someone wants to send one to me, that is not likely to happen. Lastly, will a 3000W element be able to boil 5-6 gallons of water in an insulated pot without too much trouble?

Thanks.

Old 10-07-2012, 03:11 AM   #2
grandequeso
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 7

What country are you in? 10amps is not a common branch circuit size in the US.

Old 10-07-2012, 05:32 AM   #3
questionasker
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

I am in New Zealand. I have recently learnt that I will most likely have a 20A circuit in my house, so I'll check that out once I get home.

Edit: Main circuits will be 20A, lighting or other circuits with less demand will be 10A.