To Party Gyle or Not to Party Gyle... that is the question - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > To Party Gyle or Not to Party Gyle... that is the question
Cool Brewing Giveaway - Supporting Membership Drive & Discount

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2012, 06:08 PM   #1
dallasdb
Recipes 
 
Sep 2010
Aurora, Colorado
Posts: 1,202
Liked 53 Times on 43 Posts



Okay so I'm brewing 10 gallons of IPA and I was thinking of doing a Party Gyle.

I'd like to get another 5 gallon batch of whatever is left after I batch sparge for the 10 gal IPA.

Here is the recipe:

All Grain Recipe - IPA: 1.063/1.010 (10 Gal)
Grain Bill

26 lbs. - 2 Row Pale Malt
1 lb. - Crystal Malt (10L)
1 lb. - Crystal Malt (20L)
Hop Schedule

2 oz - Magnum (75 Min.)
2 oz - Centennial - at Flameout
4 oz - Centennial - Dry Hop in secondary
Yeast

US-05

Mash/Sparge/Boil

Mash at 150 to 152 for 60 min.
Batch Sparge
Boil for 75 minutes
Cool and ferment at 66 to 68


So my question is, does anybody have any idea if doing a party gyle would work with this?

I figure it's a 10 gallon recipe/grain bill, I would imagine I could get a low ABV 5 gal batch out of the leftover mash?

Any thoughts/suggestions would be awesome.

Side note: I'm not really looking for any particular style for the party gyle, just experiment with some hops I have and see how it turns out.

Thanks!



 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 04:39 AM   #2
dallasdb
Recipes 
 
Sep 2010
Aurora, Colorado
Posts: 1,202
Liked 53 Times on 43 Posts


Anybody?



 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 04:48 AM   #3
jbsg02
Recipes 
 
Dec 2010
garland, tx
Posts: 789
Liked 45 Times on 34 Posts


go for it! what's the harm in experimenting. use some leftover hops and some harvested yeast if you have it. If you have a refractometer, I would take a pre-boil gravity reading after your sparge to get a better idea of how much bittering you will need from the hops

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:34 AM   #4
freewheelan
Recipes 
 
May 2009
NSW
Posts: 9
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


If you can, fly sparge. I party gyle whenever I brew a high gravity beer & for mine it's the best way to do it. Also, if the seconds aren't that high in gravity you can either boil it down and have a smaller batch or throw in some extract &/or sugar to boost the beer up.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:34 AM   #5
gbx
Recipes 
 
Feb 2011
Vancouver, British Columbia
Posts: 757
Liked 121 Times on 85 Posts


As the recipe stands, off a 1.063 batch you won't get much. If your efficiency is in the 75% range, you will be lucky to sparge out anything in the 1.015 range after running out the main batch. You could either boil down a few hours to get some decent gravity or top up with some extract.

...or you could add a few more pounds of grain, run off a higher gravity first runnings and second runnings into 2 separate kettles or buckets, then dilute the big wort with straight water or blend the 2 runnings to get the desired gravities in each kettle.

worksnorth Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:04 AM   #6
worksnorth
Recipes 
 
Apr 2011
Soldotna, Alaska
Posts: 685
Liked 63 Times on 49 Posts


I did this with my last Barley Wine, it worked well.... but the story is a bit longer.
I screwed up the Barley Wine by adding to much Clove (learned a lesson here) made the lips numb just sipping it ha ha. Was thinking... dump it? The Small beer (Party Gyle) kind of turned out tasteless and way low ABV of course, was bummed about the tastelessness but figured I'd drink it anyway. Then the light bulb flickered on and I mixed half the nasty Barley Wine with the tasteless Small Beer (Party Gyle) and Voila!!! A half way decent beer!!! There are some that are even impressed with the beer. lol

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:40 PM   #7
dallasdb
Recipes 
 
Sep 2010
Aurora, Colorado
Posts: 1,202
Liked 53 Times on 43 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by freewheelan
If you can, fly sparge. I party gyle whenever I brew a high gravity beer & for mine it's the best way to do it. Also, if the seconds aren't that high in gravity you can either boil it down and have a smaller batch or throw in some extract &/or sugar to boost the beer up.
I don't have the proper setup to fly sparge right now but I am thinking of adding some DME and experimenting with brown sugar or dark candi syrup.

What other misc ingredients could be added to the boil to bring up gravity?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:16 PM   #8
dallasdb
Recipes 
 
Sep 2010
Aurora, Colorado
Posts: 1,202
Liked 53 Times on 43 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by gbx

...or you could add a few more pounds of grain, run off a higher gravity first runnings and second runnings into 2 separate kettles or buckets, then dilute the big wort with straight water or blend the 2 runnings to get the desired gravities in each kettle.
Thanks for the reply! I like your suggestion but for this batch (I'm pressed for time as it is) that's a little more work than I'm looking to put in!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:17 PM   #9
dallasdb
Recipes 
 
Sep 2010
Aurora, Colorado
Posts: 1,202
Liked 53 Times on 43 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by worksnorth
I did this with my last Barley Wine, it worked well.... but the story is a bit longer.
I screwed up the Barley Wine by adding to much Clove (learned a lesson here) made the lips numb just sipping it ha ha. Was thinking... dump it? The Small beer (Party Gyle) kind of turned out tasteless and way low ABV of course, was bummed about the tastelessness but figured I'd drink it anyway. Then the light bulb flickered on and I mixed half the nasty Barley Wine with the tasteless Small Beer (Party Gyle) and Voila!!! A half way decent beer!!! There are some that are even impressed with the beer. lol
That's a cool story! Good thing you Party Gyled!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:21 PM   #10
dallasdb
Recipes 
 
Sep 2010
Aurora, Colorado
Posts: 1,202
Liked 53 Times on 43 Posts


So from your replies it seems that I could basically brew as normal for the first 10 gal batch and resparge for the party gyle brew, treat that almost like steeping grains and add DME or LME to get a decent gravity.



 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Parti-gyle mux General Techniques 33 11-01-2014 04:23 PM
1st Time Parti-gyle Question Biscostew General Techniques 0 06-21-2012 01:04 AM
Hop tea gyle 944play General Techniques 9 08-04-2010 04:19 AM
Priming with Gyle homebrewer_99 General Techniques 0 05-27-2007 01:55 AM
Party Keg Question homebrewer_99 General Techniques 0 03-07-2005 04:38 PM


Forum Jump