BIAB: Crush and Efficiency - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > BIAB: Crush and Efficiency

Old 10-06-2012, 04:09 PM   #1
jwalk4
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jun 2012
London, Ontario
Liked 160 Times on 130 Posts

I know that double crushing your grains - that is to say, milling the grains twice - is said to yield a greater brew-house efficiency. But what kind of efficiency do you get if you only mill it once?

50% ? 60% ? 70% ?

Anyone out there only do one crush?

Beer styles I'm trying to nail down: APA, Porter, Mild, Amber, & Something Yellow and Fizzy.

Old 10-06-2012, 07:27 PM   #2
zakleeright
Recipes 

Sep 2009
Tampa, FL, FL
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

My understanding is that it is not good to over-mill your grain. I've always just run it through the mill one time, and get 80% efficiency if I'm doing a 6-gallon batch, and over 85% if I'm doing 15 gallons or more. The efficiency goes up on my system with larger batches, for some reason...I suspect mash tun dimensions.

Anyway, it seems I get good mash results from keeping temp constant/accurate, having the right grain/water ratio, ensuring no dry spots/clumps in grain (add grains to mash water slowly, good initial stir), and doing a good sparge. For a batch sparge, I drain the first runnings, then use 169F water and let it sit for 20 minutes, then drain that.
I got a bit better efficiency when I started using a march pump to continuously recirc the mash water, so there's a constant flow through the grain bed.
IMO, I would not double-crush the grain. Seems like over-crushing has the potential for a 'stuck mash', which is far worse than a couple points of efficiency you might get.
Cheers

Old 10-06-2012, 07:33 PM   #3
thughes
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Jan 2010
Rochester
Liked 52 Times on 49 Posts

No worries about a stuck mash with BIAB.

That being said, I have found that there is no appreciable difference in efficiency between a fine single crush and a standard double crush. I am a BIAB'er and this opinion comes from several experiments with different crushes over the course of the past few years, not hearsay or repeating second-hand "facts" (no offense intended to zakleeright). I currently use a corona mill and tear those little grains up pretty good with it.....get a consistent 83-83%.

Old 10-06-2012, 07:38 PM   #4
ArcLight
Recipes 

May 2011
Millburn, NJ
Liked 125 Times on 95 Posts

>>That being said, I have found that there is no appreciable difference in efficiency between a fine single crush and a standard double crush.

I agree. But I think the concern is one doesn't always get a "fine" single crush, thus the suggestion to double crush.

The only danger of over crushing is you may end with more dust flowing out of the bag, into the wort, and becoming trub.

Old 10-06-2012, 07:56 PM   #5
thughes
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Jan 2010
Rochester
Liked 52 Times on 49 Posts

Agreed, especially if you are at the mercy of someone else to crush your grain. I do all my own crushing and have experimented with both single and double crush, fine vs course crush, and roller vs corona.

Old 10-07-2012, 12:00 PM   #6
jwalk4
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jun 2012
London, Ontario
Liked 160 Times on 130 Posts

Ah, ok. Thanks for the input guys. I guess I'll have to brew more and find out for myself. Darn!

I had read a few threads on here advocating the double crush, but when I phoned up my LHBS they had no idea what I was talking about. Or, they did know what I was talking about, and played dumb so they didn't have to clog up their mill.
Beer styles I'm trying to nail down: APA, Porter, Mild, Amber, & Something Yellow and Fizzy.

Old 10-07-2012, 12:41 PM   #7
signpost
Recipes 

Jan 2012
Berkley, Michigan
Liked 155 Times on 133 Posts

I recently got 77% efficiency from my first all-grain attempt. The grains were crushed (I assume single crushed) by Northern Brewer and I did it as a BIAB with sparge. It didn't seem to be an excessively fine crush.
Fermenting - BBD Sour; Oat No! (an Oat Wine); Signpost Old Ale; Chris' Tall Ale 2.0; SSB (Signpost Sour Blonde); County Western Bottled - NB Ares' Biere de Mars; Ol' Bitter Bastard; Chris' Tall Ale; 4 small batch sour blends - 1 w/ cherries and 1 w/ peaches; Back To School Porter w/cacao & vanilla; Signpost Creek Paint Cider; Signpost Oud Bruin; Land of Pils and Honey, Imp. Saison with Clover Honey; Ad Hoc Berliner Weisse Kegged - BBD WIPA (but I think it has chlorophenolics); Keg #2 is EMPTY!

Old 10-20-2012, 08:56 PM   #8
Ettels4
Recipes 

Feb 2012
, WI
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I am consistently getting 83-85% eff. with BIAB using Northern Brewer's standard crush. My setup is a 44q. Bayou Classic w/ the strainer basket and a 5 gallon paint strainer bag. I don't sparge but I do mashout at 170 for 10 min. and give a firm squeeze by pushing down w/ a pot lid on top of the grains several times. I lose .05 gal/pound of grain. I have to recalculate recipes based on this efficiency and end up using a fair bit less base grain. Hooray I saved a few bucks on base malts... but really I am wondering... am I losing some flavor too by using less base malt? Does anybody know? Whats the downside to this increased efficiency?

Old 10-20-2012, 11:15 PM   #9
D_Nyholm
Recipes 

Mar 2011
Sayville, NY
Liked 83 Times on 71 Posts

I was using Austin homebrew standard crush and got about 70% efficiency pretty consistently. I bought a monster mill and started crushing my grain myself and set the gap to just allow a credit card AND the numbers to fit through. Even with it set that far apart, I got a very fine crush and dust. On the two batches I did with that, I got 80% efficiency but almost a gallon worth of trub. I am going to try to crush the grain much slower thinking that the drill we used just spun to fast and tore up the grain instead of just crushing it.

msa8967 Likes This 
Old 10-21-2012, 03:23 PM   #10
unionrdr
Heavyweight homebrewing author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Feb 2011
Sheffield, Ohio
Liked 3621 Times on 3110 Posts

The crush in my midwest kit looked more like cracks in the hulls to me. So I took an old mini food processor & pulsed 1/2C 3 times,3-4 seconds per pulse. chunky grit like consistency. Maybe less pulsing till tax time sees a grain mill. No corona mills localy??

New! John Henry- https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GBV3UXU