3 floyds yeast - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > 3 floyds yeast

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2012, 02:40 AM   #1
KuntzBrewing
Recipes 
 
Aug 2011
Kokomo, Indiana
Posts: 630
Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts



Has anyone ever harvest the yeast from artic panzer wolf? 3 Floyd's is my absolute favorite brewery. I'm wondering if anyone has ever harvested this yeast and can compare it to any other yeast? It seems pretty low to moderate flocculation and very fruity. Just wondering

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 04:41 AM   #2
kaips1
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
lexington, ky
Posts: 192
Liked 26 Times on 20 Posts


safale s-04 or any english ale yeast with high flocculation and moderate attenuation. thats at least what ive found so far, just did a alpha king clone and its pretty spot on

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:13 AM   #3
kylevester
Recipes 
 
Apr 2012
Lafayette, IN
Posts: 226
Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts


Try calling them to ask what yeast they use. Most small breweries won't hesitate to tell you.

However, I think kaips1 is right that they use a neutral English yeast for their brews and it just may be Saf-04. They may use 1056/US-05 in some as well, but I seem to remember hearing that it's Saf-04 elsewhere.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 01:25 PM   #4
lou2row
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
lou2row's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2009
NW Ohio, Ohio
Posts: 527
Liked 46 Times on 31 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by kylevester View Post
Try calling them to ask what yeast they use. Most small breweries won't hesitate to tell you.

However, I think kaips1 is right that they use a neutral English yeast for their brews and it just may be Saf-04. They may use 1056/US-05 in some as well, but I seem to remember hearing that it's Saf-04 elsewhere.
Everything I've read or heard is 3 Floyds is of little help on their brews.
__________________
Do you know the place
Where my home brew waits for me?
refrigerator

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 04:19 AM   #5
kylevester
Recipes 
 
Apr 2012
Lafayette, IN
Posts: 226
Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by lou2row View Post
Everything I've read or heard is 3 Floyds is of little help on their brews.
Considering my experiences when going there, I wouldn't be surprised. The "brewpub" portion, even with the expansion, is horribly inadequate. And the first DLD I went to could only be described as a cluster****. The 2012 DLD was great, so maybe after 15 years they've figured it out.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:40 AM   #6
KuntzBrewing
Recipes 
 
Aug 2011
Kokomo, Indiana
Posts: 630
Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts


I have yet to understand why they only brew dark lord for one day release. The price per bottle is high but the sales are not extreme. Even though they are only allowed to brew 35,000bbl in indiana they could cut brews that arent high sellers and release darklord as a seasonal

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:43 AM   #7
KuntzBrewing
Recipes 
 
Aug 2011
Kokomo, Indiana
Posts: 630
Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts


God know Gorch Fock, Munster Fest, and some other seasonals are not big hits, (while both are extremely good for the style)

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:25 PM   #8
Xpertskir
Recipes 
 
May 2012
Morgantown, Wv
Posts: 2,224
Liked 455 Times on 293 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by KuntzBrewing View Post
I have yet to understand why they only brew dark lord for one day release. The price per bottle is high but the sales are not extreme. Even though they are only allowed to brew 35,000bbl in indiana they could cut brews that arent high sellers and release darklord as a seasonal
It's all marketing. He claims that he can't get enough of the ingridients to make more but nothing increases demand for something, especially among beer geeks like exclusivity.

The price for their standard dark lord, 15 bucks per bomber is the same as a lot of their large format bottles.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 06:10 PM   #9
Smelson
Recipes 
 
Feb 2013
Volo, IL
Posts: 13
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


I'm working on harvesting yeast from a panzer wolf now, if anything comes of it I'll update the thread...

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools



Forum Jump