National Homebrew Day Giveaway - Enter Now - Weekend Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > New to Brewing, Primary Fermentation

Old 10-05-2012, 09:56 PM   #1
Gerber54
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default New to Brewing, Primary Fermentation

Hello everyone I have a question about our first all grain batch, my roommates an I put together an all grain recipe we are trying to make a west coast style IPA. When we tested the gravity of the cooled wort it came it to 1.062 thought everything looked good so we capped it up (we are using a fermenting bucket) tossed in the air lock and set it aside in a corner of the house that always stays around 65 degrees. After three days of not seeing any kind of activity from the air lock I popped out the air lock to see what was going in inside. There is a pretty thick green sludge/foam sitting on the top and some tinny bubbles popping up all around the surface. So I capped it back and let it go for anther day. Still no bubbling from the air lock. I checked everything made sure the cap was on tight. We were very careful with sanitation and everything. My main questions are is this normal, how concerned should I be? I know that primary fermentation can be violent for lack of a better word I attribute the green color to the hops but it still didnt seem right to me. Any help or insight would be awesome.

Thanks for the help,
Stephen

Old 10-05-2012, 10:02 PM   #2
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 505 Times on 467 Posts
Likes Given: 226

The thick layer you are seeing is the krausen and it means the beer is fermenting. Most likely you have a leaky seal in the lid and the gasses are escaping from somewhere else, not a problem and can happen. Give it another few days and take a gravity reading if you want or leave it alone for 10 days or so and then check to be sure the gravity has dropped.

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 10-05-2012, 10:03 PM   #3
CastleHollow
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Remember that airlock activity is not an indicator of fermentation. From your description it sounds like you're at high krausen, which is normal in that 3-4 day window. Sounds like it's fine. What yeast did you use?

Old 10-05-2012, 10:18 PM   #4
Gerber54
Recipes 

We work at a brewery/restaurant we had some yeast that was harvested that day.

Old 10-05-2012, 10:34 PM   #5
BBL_Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 433 Times on 299 Posts
Likes Given: 323

Proabably a leaky bucket lid if you had nice fresh yeast like that. I have a couple myself that won't bubble because gas escapes around the lid.

Never Ending Liquid Yeast - How to Farm Yeast and Freeze it.

Old 10-05-2012, 10:42 PM   #6
Gerber54
Recipes 

Great I feel very relieved this is pretty much what I expected but its good to hear from a few people that have already experienced it.

Thanks Guys