Bought a lot of glass carboys before knowing about kegs - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Bought a lot of glass carboys before knowing about kegs

Old 10-05-2012, 08:05 PM   #1
porcupine73
Recipes 

Aug 2012
Fort Meade
Liked 47 Times on 43 Posts

Hm I bought quite a few glass carboys for brewing before seeing the threads about doing primary fermenting in kegs. The price per capacity is comparable but the kegs seem like they are much safer. I'm getting paranoid about a cracking carboy slicing my arms off eventually.

The second thing I realized is that the gallon glass jugs are actually a lower cost per unit capacity except that yes you do need a lot more airlocks, but handling a 1 gallon glass jug seems safer than wielding those 6.5g big boys.

Old 10-05-2012, 08:27 PM   #2
m_c_zero
Recipes 

Apr 2011
Westminster, CO
Liked 229 Times on 162 Posts

I wonder if there is a product you could use to laminate the glass to make it shatterproof?

On a side note, I've got 4 6.5 gallon glass carboys from the 1970's that were used primarily for mead and they're still kicking ass and taking names.

porcupine73 Likes This 
Old 10-05-2012, 08:40 PM   #3
porcupine73
Recipes 

Aug 2012
Fort Meade

I've seen people put hardware cloth around them and then duct tape but I'd rather avoid something like that because I usually spill sweet stuff down the sides at some point, then that will be underneath the duct tape. I think I just need to have a safety plan for safe handling. It's just the risk I know is there, like what if this broke while I'm carrying it? Right now it would be at my bare feet, hands and arms, so I think maybe just wearing boots, and maybe textile motorcycle pants and jacket and some type of glove would be sufficient. It's mostly when it's full I'm nervous now.

Old 10-05-2012, 08:44 PM   #4
BBL_Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Feb 2011
Kokomo, IN
Liked 440 Times on 303 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by porcupine73 View Post
I've seen people put hardware cloth around them and then duct tape but I'd rather avoid something like that because I usually spill sweet stuff down the sides at some point, then that will be underneath the duct tape. I think I just need to have a safety plan for safe handling. It's just the risk I know is there, like what if this broke while I'm carrying it? Right now it would be at my bare feet, hands and arms, so I think maybe just wearing boots, and maybe textile motorcycle pants and jacket and some type of glove would be sufficient. It's mostly when it's full I'm nervous now.
Be careful with the gloves. If you go overboard here you might lose grip and drop one because of all the safety gear you're wearing.

Never Ending Liquid Yeast - How to Farm Yeast and Freeze it.

Old 10-05-2012, 09:00 PM   #5
Hopper5000
Recipes 

Oct 2011
Oakland, CA
Liked 91 Times on 69 Posts

I broke a carboy when cleaning after the 1st time I used it... lame... I spend the extra money on the top handle and the brew hauler straps the second time and haven't had a problem since...

Old 10-05-2012, 09:08 PM   #6
neosapien

Recipes 

Mar 2012
Dallas, TX
Liked 144 Times on 103 Posts

milk crates for the win

Hopper5000 Likes This 
Old 10-06-2012, 04:38 AM   #7
landshark
HMFIC
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Mar 2011
Pleasant Hill, Missouri
Liked 147 Times on 118 Posts

You could probably Plasti-Dip a carboy. But you can no longer see in it.

Buckets work pretty good, and as mentioned, milk crates. You could also always put them up for trade for a Better Bottle or Corny. Not sure I'd ferment in kegs. Buckets are nice though. Kegs just seem too expensive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laughing_Gnome_Invisible View Post
OK, So I searched "Betty White nude" ...........At the top of the results, instead of 'Did you mean......" it asked "Are you f#cking serious?....."

Old 10-06-2012, 04:43 AM   #8
jsguitar
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

May 2011
Overland Park, KS
Liked 129 Times on 102 Posts

Milk crates are great. Get the real ones and not the flimsy ones you usually see in the stores. I asked a restaurant for a couple that they had out back and they agreed. The plastic is really thick on those.

Old 10-06-2012, 05:14 AM   #9
DeafSmith
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2009
Richardson, TX
Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts

Always use a milk crate or BrewHauler for full carboys. Never use a carboy handle on anything other than an empty carboy. Never hold a full or partly full carboy and turn it sideways to empty it when cleaning - always siphon out the cleaning solution. When rinsing, you can lay the carboy on its side, use a small amount of rinse water and roll it to rinse, keeping your hands on top of the carboy. A carboy handle can be useful here when dumping out the rinse water.

I suspect that many of the "spontaneous" failures are due to micro-cracks in soft glass (cheap) carboys, perhaps accelerated by caustic cleaning solutions. Here's an interesting article on cleaning from Better Bottle:

http://www.better-bottle.com/pdf/Was...izingStudy.pdf

See the section titled "An Important Warning".

porcupine73 Likes This 
Old 10-06-2012, 01:28 PM   #10
porcupine73
Recipes 

Aug 2012
Fort Meade

Thanks for the tips. Wow DeafSmith that's a very interesting article you linked. It's very detailed. I didn't notice if they had any suggestions for what to use to clean glass carboys? Do you think they suggest the Seventh Generation Free and Clear detergent for that? That would be perfect since I already happen to have a container of it. I am or was using Carlson Straight A, I didn't realize that is actually classified as caustic, it contains percarbonates, silicates, and something else. Know I know why my fingers feel soapy when it touches my skin, I'm guessing is saponifying my skin.