Maple-oatmeal Chocolate Stout(Or Kelryn's Stout) - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Homebrew Ale Recipes > Maple-oatmeal Chocolate Stout(Or Kelryn's Stout)

Old 10-05-2012, 04:13 PM   #1
JRParker
Recipes 

Oct 2012
Cleveland Heights, Ohio
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Recipe Type: All Grain   
Yeast: Leftover from a final fermentation of a Best brew IPA   
Batch Size (Gallons): 1   
Original Gravity: unknown   
Final Gravity: unknown   
Boiling Time (Minutes): 40   
Color: Dark Brown, nearly Black   
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 7-10 @ 64-68*F   
Tasting Notes: Mapled-Oatmeal with Notes of Cinnamon and Nutmeg and a nice Bitterness   

I just Brewed this about 2 hours ago so I am not sure how well the Yeast will work out; Just figured I would give the basic recipe.

Grains:
1/2 lb Caramel 80L
4 oz. Victory
2 oz. Caraplis
16 oz. Rolled Oats
The Caramel, Victory, and Caraplis were Steeped for a Batch of Brewer's best "Imperial Pale Ale", then had the Oats added to them and steeped again; they did provide both color and flavor to the final Wort.

I mashed them at a 175*F Strike temp that brought the water down to 158. Mash was left for 20 minutes. Next time I may just Sparge the Mash(BIAB); there was a significant amount of Starches coming off the Oats when I pulled the bag.

I then Boiled for 40 minutes adding 1/4 oz. of Columbus hops shortly after the wort came to a boil(mostly for Bittering). I also added the 3 oz. of pure maple syrup at this time.

At the 15 Minutes left mark I added 2 oz. of Hershey's special dark syrup.

At the 5 Minute left I added 1 oz. each of Ground Cinnamon and Ground nutmeg.

I then chilled and added a 1/2 liter of the Last bits I drew out of my fermenter from bottling the first half of the Brewer's Best Imperial Pale Ale. I will update at around bottling time and again when I get to drink it.

Pre-beer is very much a Malty-sweet Mapled-Oatmeal with Notes of Cinnamon and Nutmeg and a nice Bitterness