Wyeast 3068 ferm. Temps - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Wyeast 3068 ferm. Temps

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2012, 05:40 AM   #1
greenhaze
 
greenhaze's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2012
Costa Mesa, California
Posts: 240
Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts



Hi all
I have read a lot here about 3068 being a beast in primary fermentation. I have a honey weizen now five days in primary using 3068. I didn't make a starter, my target OG was 1.052/1.056. My Og came in at 1.054. I pitched the yeast about 3 degrees above the max temp as per Wyeast which was last Sunday
I have my swamp cooler water at 60 degrees since Monday. It's being fermenting away nice 2 inch head of krausen, lots of gurgling from my blow off tube.
Do you think I should raise the temp of my swamp cooler water a couple of degrees or let it ferment at the lower end of the scale assuming the internal temp of the Carboy is 5/7 degrees hotter.
Sorry for the ramble, just trying to make good beer. This is my second extract brew.
Slainte

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:00 AM   #2
highgravitybacon
Recipes 
 
Sep 2012
Posts: 924
Liked 216 Times on 152 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhaze View Post
Hi all
I have read a lot here about 3068 being a beast in primary fermentation. I have a honey weizen now five days in primary using 3068. I didn't make a starter, my target OG was 1.052/1.056. My Og came in at 1.054. I pitched the yeast about 3 degrees above the max temp as per Wyeast which was last Sunday
I have my swamp cooler water at 60 degrees since Monday. It's being fermenting away nice 2 inch head of krausen, lots of gurgling from my blow off tube.
Do you think I should raise the temp of my swamp cooler water a couple of degrees or let it ferment at the lower end of the scale assuming the internal temp of the Carboy is 5/7 degrees hotter.
Sorry for the ramble, just trying to make good beer. This is my second extract brew.
Slainte
I made a hefe with 3068 that fermented at 70F. Nice banana flavors, not a whole lot of clove. But I think the banana just steamrolls the clove. It's a nice beer and I like it. Mostly just wheat DME.

I fermented at ambient temps just having the carboy in a bigazz tube of water to moderate its temperature.

Just keep the temp consistent whatever you pick. You'll get a fine beer I'm sure. Take good notes. If your beer is crapola then do something different next time. Just an FYI about this yeast, if you haven't already noticed the sulfury smell you soon will. Let that clear before you bottle or you'll have bottled turds.

It's just beer. You'll be fine.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:05 AM   #3
greenhaze
 
greenhaze's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2012
Costa Mesa, California
Posts: 240
Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts


So that's what the smell was the other day when I opened the closet, it smelled bad !
Slainte

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:09 AM   #4
highgravitybacon
Recipes 
 
Sep 2012
Posts: 924
Liked 216 Times on 152 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhaze View Post
So that's what the smell was the other day when I opened the closet, it smelled bad !
Slainte
I thought the sewer had backed up in my house and a band of vagrants was using my crawl space as a latrine. It was pretty gamey for a while. Needless to say this caused some marital strife. Hard as it is to believe, wives don't like the house to smell like a sewage treatment plant.

I was like, "Baby, marriage is about compromise. We need to come to terms about this. By we, I mean you, and by compromise, I mean that you just realize that it's all in the name of my beer."

Well that's what I thought in my head. What I really said was, "Oh, I didn't notice anything. Maybe the compost bin is just a little ripe."

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:25 AM   #5
greenhaze
 
greenhaze's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2012
Costa Mesa, California
Posts: 240
Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by highgravitybacon

I thought the sewer had backed up in my house and a band of vagrants was using my crawl space as a latrine. It was pretty gamey for a while. Needless to say this caused some marital strife. Hard as it is to believe, wives don't like the house to smell like a sewage treatment plant.

I was like, "Baby, marriage is about compromise. We need to come to terms about this. By we, I mean you, and by compromise, I mean that you just realize that it's all in the name of my beer."

Well that's what I thought in my head. What I really said was, "Oh, I didn't notice anything. Maybe the compost bin is just a little ripe."
LMAO
Slainte

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:35 AM   #6
Pratzie
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Pratzie's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2012
Northeastern Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,621
Liked 173 Times on 121 Posts


My Hefe is passed the three week mark now but I pitched in a temp around 72. Took it into my basement and it stayed in the 65-69 range and was giving off some wicked banana/clove flavors. Next to my cider, when u walked in the garage it smelled like a smoothie shop.

Ive read the lower the ferment temp, the more pronounced the banana/clove, the higher the temp the more distinct bubble gum esters so i'd have to say its prob what u prefer as far as the taste of the brew.
__________________
Bottled: Nothing :(
Kegged: Nothing :(
Primary: Empty
Secondary: Empty
Aging:
On Deck: Cider

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:50 PM   #7
highgravitybacon
Recipes 
 
Sep 2012
Posts: 924
Liked 216 Times on 152 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Pratzie View Post
My Hefe is passed the three week mark now but I pitched in a temp around 72. Took it into my basement and it stayed in the 65-69 range and was giving off some wicked banana/clove flavors. Next to my cider, when u walked in the garage it smelled like a smoothie shop.

Ive read the lower the ferment temp, the more pronounced the banana/clove, the higher the temp the more distinct bubble gum esters so i'd have to say its prob what u prefer as far as the taste of th brew.
I sent wyeast and email asking about how to maximize the banana. I like a proper Banana Bomb hefe. They suggest that temp wasn't quite as important as pitch rate. For more banananany flavors, pitch at 6 million yeasts / ml of wort. Sierra Nevada's Kellerweiss has a very nice clovey flavor. I would love to know their yeast and recipe. They say open fermentation is a part of this. I've heard other people suggest this too.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 04:09 AM   #8
Pratzie
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Pratzie's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2012
Northeastern Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,621
Liked 173 Times on 121 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by highgravitybacon View Post
I sent wyeast and email asking about how to maximize the banana. I like a proper Banana Bomb hefe. They suggest that temp wasn't quite as important as pitch rate. For more banananany flavors, pitch at 6 million yeasts / ml of wort. Sierra Nevada's Kellerweiss has a very nice clovey flavor. I would love to know their yeast and recipe. They say open fermentation is a part of this. I've heard other people suggest this too.
That's just shy of 120 billion active cells. I can't get on MrMalty from my iPad but I think I'll def try this with my next hefe.
__________________
Bottled: Nothing :(
Kegged: Nothing :(
Primary: Empty
Secondary: Empty
Aging:
On Deck: Cider

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:41 AM   #9
1Mainebrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Jun 2010
, Maine
Posts: 942
Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts


Mrmalty has an app for iPad and iPhone
__________________
Bucket: Air
Carboy 1: Stout
Carboy 2: Air
Carboy 3: Air
Better Bottle: Air
Growlers: Air
Keg 1: Amber Ale(left tap)
Keg 2: Cider (right tap)
Keg 3: Air
Keg 4: Ale Full-O-Funk
Bottles: Sauvignon Blanc, Mixed Wine, Syrah, Apple Wine, Triberry Wine, Chianti, Liquid Sunshine Sparkling Banana Wine
In the Works: Kate the Great Clone

Favorite Recipe #1: Kate the Great Clone
Favorite Recipe #2: Crop Chopper PAL
Favorite Recipe #3: Curieux Clone

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 03:12 AM   #10
Pratzie
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Pratzie's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2012
Northeastern Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,621
Liked 173 Times on 121 Posts


Ya I'm gonna download it one of these days but haven't yet
__________________
Bottled: Nothing :(
Kegged: Nothing :(
Primary: Empty
Secondary: Empty
Aging:
On Deck: Cider

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools



Forum Jump