Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Guide to Making a Frozen Yeast Bank

Old 07-07-2009, 07:49 PM   #211
FlyGuy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 149 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBlagojevich View Post
why not just save one bottle of each beer you make, and culture the yeast from that whenever you want to use that yeast strain again.
It can be done, but there is a very big risk of yeast mutation and/or selecting the least flocculent yeast. Also the yeast in the dregs of your bottles isn't the healthiest stuff, so it can be finicky to work with.

If you want to preserve a pure strain of yeast that you can bank and have on hand whenever you want it, freezing yeast is the method I prefer. You can also bank slants or small quantities of yeast in your fridge.

Old 07-12-2009, 09:22 AM   #212
dooksh
Recipes 

can i use Vegetable Glycerine ( used for making suger dough)?

Old 08-20-2009, 05:39 AM   #213
aluminumpark
Recipes 

Great article,

the only thing i wonder is
What else can I freeze like this? blood, semen?

Old 10-09-2009, 01:36 AM   #214
Tripod
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

subsribed...this is a great write up and I'll definitely give this a go!

Primary: First AG Batch! - Irish Red | Bottle: Oatmeal Stout| Drinking: Nearcastle II... | Up Next: It may be time to try a lager

5/2012

Old 10-13-2009, 07:52 PM   #215
gitapaynts
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

How vigorous do you spin the stir bar? Do you keep a vortex going overnight while it ferments?

Old 10-14-2009, 04:24 AM   #216
FlyGuy

Recipes 

I spin it just fast enough to get a small vortex appearing. That should be all it needs.

Old 10-14-2009, 12:36 PM   #217
gitapaynts
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

And by doing this, what is the average time to peak fermentation, at which you make the stocks? I assume there is tremendous variability in different strains....

Thanks for the info!

Old 10-14-2009, 04:15 PM   #218
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitapaynts View Post
And by doing this, what is the average time to peak fermentation, at which you make the stocks? I assume there is tremendous variability in different strains....

Thanks for the info!
Yes, lots of variability, but typically they are fermented out in 12 - 24 hours. I usually give it about 18 hours (i.e. make up the starter the evening before my afternoon brew session).

Old 11-23-2009, 06:26 PM   #219
Randar
Damn right I got da brews
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4744 Times on 4635 Posts
Likes Given: 2665

Read through the first couple pages of this thread and here are my questions on yours or an alternative process:

1) Why store a large heap of yeast in a liquid vial as opposed to streaking them to plates and storing them in a similar manner?
2) Won't streaking to plates filled with wort agar be a lower cost option?

My wife is in yeast genetics (relating to cancer biology) and stores her yeast in something along the following process:

1) Dip inocculation loop in ethanol and then flame it to sterilize
2) streak several plates from primary culture (in this case our starter) (this process can be described for folks here later if needed)
3) incubate cultures (in the case of beer yeast this will be at roughly room temp)
4) examine yeast cultures to ensure single colonies have been produced free of infection (and you will know it when looking if it is infected)
5) Freeze cultured plates (wrapped in parafilm) in the freezer (they have a -80 C freezer but she seems to think the home freezer would be fine if you are careful to avoid big temp swings or power outages).

In order to regrow yeast, you take plate and with a sterilized loop or stick, scrape off a single colony into a tube or small flask containing cooled wort. Grow out a small sized starter (10-50 ml) and then build it up once you have verified you have gtood desired yeast activity

It seems from first glance at your list of materials that this would be a cheaper method (no tubes, glycerine, smaller storage requirements, etc).

Anyone here have an opinion on preference between the 2 methods or if they are basically equivalent? I think a good plate culture would keep nearly indefinitely and could supply 10-20 starters worth of colonies per plate.

Old 11-23-2009, 07:42 PM   #220
PintOfBitter
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

well, this process seems to work, and I can find glycerine at Walmart. No local source for agar. i think plating is usually used to preserve the purity of a culture rather than maximize viability.

I'm interested in trying out the plating method, but I do like the glycerine vials.