Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Adding ice to cool the wort down?

Old 10-04-2012, 08:42 PM   #11
ACbrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 105 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 3

The problem with saying that commerical ice is FDA approved as food safe is that the FDA may have a bacteria count acceptable going into a general consumption in the near time (ie 2 or 3 hours after being put into a soda) and not after 2 weeks of existance in a growth media (aka wort). One of the books (Palmer? Papazani?) mentions that you are after sanatized, not sterlized and adding so much yeast that it over powers anything else that survived to that point in the process. So by adding commerical ice (or unsanatized home ice) is asking for trouble. There is almost no surface of the earth that doesn't have some bacteria living on it.

If you really want to add ice to the wort, either 1 freeze bottles and sanatize the outside and remove bottle. 2. make sanatized ice by some method (ex. microwave water in container, with lid, to a boil. Move said container with lid to freezer and freeze add to wort later).

Old 10-04-2012, 08:56 PM   #12
ZombieBrew83
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I've made many batches by cooling wort with Ice. I aim to finish my boil with about 4 gallons left over then add about 1.5 gallons of ice made from sanitized (boiled) water frozen in sterilized ziploc containers. No infections yet (25 batches and counting) and it gets the beer down to about 75 in 10 minutes. I also have my BK in a sink filled with cold water to help knock down the temp.

I've never tried commercial ice for the reasons listed above. You might be playing with fire (oh the irony) with that practice.

Old 10-04-2012, 09:14 PM   #13
davekippen
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 163 Times on 126 Posts
Likes Given: 418

If I am topping off with water, I buy a few gallons of distilled water from the store and put them in the freezer when I start brewing. By the time I am ready to cool the wort they are super cold, so I top off with "almost freezing" water. Just as effective and gives me a little more piece of mind when it comes to sanitation.
Hit me on Untappd https://untappd.com/user/davekippen
People Like This 
Old 10-04-2012, 09:25 PM   #14
Timmyg316
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
If I am topping off with water, I buy a few gallons of distilled water from the store and put them in the freezer when I start brewing. By the time I am ready to cool the wort they are super cold, so I top off with "almost freezing" water. Just as effective and gives me a little more piece of mind when it comes to sanitation.
thats actually pretty good
davekippen Likes This 
Old 10-05-2012, 05:14 PM   #15
ANewrBrewr
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Awesome thanks everyone. So it seems that you can just boil then freeze water (in an airtight container) and you have no worries! So if it is that easy and that effective at cooling then why would people (myself being one) buy all of this expensive and labor intensive equipment for cooling the wort? It seems silly.

Old 10-05-2012, 05:17 PM   #16
ANewrBrewr
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 27

With that being stated.......does anyone want to buy a wort chiller???

Old 10-05-2012, 05:42 PM   #17
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 237 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Because while it may have only a slight impact, carmelization, hops utilization, etc. are affected by less wort at a higher gravity.

Quote:
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 10-05-2012, 05:54 PM   #18
ACbrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 105 Times on 95 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tre9er View Post
Because while it may have only a slight impact, carmelization, hops utilization, etc. are affected by less wort at a higher gravity.
Sure they might be or not (there is a debate about this). I will assume not doing a full boil decreases overall flavor (in part because I think it does). If you are doing stovetop unaided brewing. Boiling 5 gallons of wort is between very hard and impossible to do. There just isn't the power out of a single burner this way. That means that the OP and I use top off water to get to our 5 gallons well 5.5 I expect .5 gallons of trub. If the OP wants to find a way of making sanatized ice to use instead of water, more power to him. I'll stick with what is working for me (ice bath and time)

Old 10-05-2012, 06:00 PM   #19
johnny5000
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 16

With my first batch of beer, I bought a bag of commercial ice and filled the sink with it to cool down my wort. As I was trying to even out the ice around the pot, a few ice cubes fell into the wort (after sitting in my not-sanitized sink full of ice and tap water.) I was pretty sure I'd end up with a disgusting infected brew, but it turned out fine.

Of course, this doesn't mean I'm going to dump a bunch of ice into my wort to cool it, but it worked out OK in this one case.

Old 10-05-2012, 07:01 PM   #20
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 237 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACbrewer View Post
Sure they might be or not (there is a debate about this). I will assume not doing a full boil decreases overall flavor (in part because I think it does). If you are doing stovetop unaided brewing. Boiling 5 gallons of wort is between very hard and impossible to do. There just isn't the power out of a single burner this way. That means that the OP and I use top off water to get to our 5 gallons well 5.5 I expect .5 gallons of trub. If the OP wants to find a way of making sanatized ice to use instead of water, more power to him. I'll stick with what is working for me (ice bath and time)
I didn't argue with doing it, only explained why everyone doesn't, which was asked.

Quote:
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!