Excited to start! - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Excited to start!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2012, 03:27 PM   #1
sok454
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
chatham, il
Posts: 742
Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts



Well i got my stuff from Midwest over the weekend. I ordered the big starter kit w carboy. I am worried though as the recipe I got was the Irish Stout (love stouts) and I was not thinking that it would be as advanced as it is. I think I'll need to re-read some of the chapters in Palmers book!

I am very excited to start though that is for sure!!!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:31 PM   #2
freisste
Recipes 
 
Sep 2012
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Posts: 2,544
Liked 345 Times on 276 Posts


Ask your questions and I'm sure the brewmasters on this forum will get you through. I can't imagine it is too complicated for you. Good luck, happy brewing, and welcome!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:34 PM   #3
Homercidal
Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT_MODERATOR.png
 
Homercidal's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2008
Reed City, MI
Posts: 31,394
Liked 5019 Times on 3389 Posts


I don't think there is anything special or difficult in making an Irish Stout as compared to the majority of beers out there. The process is pretty much always the same. The big difference with Stouts is that they use roasted malts to get the dark color and roast flavor. The process is the same.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:35 PM   #4
sok454
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
chatham, il
Posts: 742
Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts


Thank you! Just wish I had the time to start it this weekend!!! Maybe I'll stay up tonight and get it going.... Would like to have it ready for Thanksgiving/Xmas.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:39 PM   #5
BigBlueDog
Senior Member
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
BigBlueDog's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2010
Colorado
Posts: 144
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Good preparation is important and it sounds like you're on the right track. Definitely post any questions you have about the process.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:41 PM   #6
Homercidal
Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT_MODERATOR.png
 
Homercidal's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2008
Reed City, MI
Posts: 31,394
Liked 5019 Times on 3389 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by sok454 View Post
Thank you! Just wish I had the time to start it this weekend!!! Maybe I'll stay up tonight and get it going.... Would like to have it ready for Thanksgiving/Xmas.
This is my advice, take it for what it's worth.

My experience is that rushing into a brew with short time allowed causes errors. If you feel you have the process understood, then go for it. I'd want to step through the process once ahead of time, pretending to transfer water, chill wort, etc. just to make sure.

Nothing worse than finding out you are missing something, or didn't do something right and next thing you know it's 3 am and you have a mess to clean up.

Don't get me wrong, brewing is not hard, but that first time can be a little crazy.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:48 PM   #7
sok454
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
chatham, il
Posts: 742
Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts


My goal today is to write out my instructions so i am familiar with them. Think that will help me mentally prepare!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:31 PM   #8
FuzzeWuzze
I Love DIY
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
FuzzeWuzze's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2012
Newberg, Oregon
Posts: 3,109
Liked 426 Times on 312 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
This is my advice, take it for what it's worth.

My experience is that rushing into a brew with short time allowed causes errors. If you feel you have the process understood, then go for it. I'd want to step through the process once ahead of time, pretending to transfer water, chill wort, etc. just to make sure.

Nothing worse than finding out you are missing something, or didn't do something right and next thing you know it's 3 am and you have a mess to clean up.

Don't get me wrong, brewing is not hard, but that first time can be a little crazy.
This, its also good to write out steps even if you know what they are. I cant tell you the number of times i have my mash tun going, and i decide to go do something else...then get back as it ends and realize I forgot to heat batch sparge water...its harder to fall into these traps with extract since there isnt many points where you can walk away for extended durations, but still go through it in your head.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:35 PM   #9
Homercidal
Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT_MODERATOR.png
 
Homercidal's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2008
Reed City, MI
Posts: 31,394
Liked 5019 Times on 3389 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzeWuzze View Post
This, its also good to write out steps even if you know what they are. I cant tell you the number of times i have my mash tun going, and i decide to go do something else...then get back as it ends and realize I forgot to heat batch sparge water...its harder to fall into these traps with extract since there isnt many points where you can walk away for extended durations, but still go through it in your head.
This crazy crap still happens to me. Mash in. Ok, time to pour a glass and check HBT, or go do some other thing and 60 minutes later...


Ooops. No hot water for sparging. Or I forget to check preboil gravity and pH, or some other thing.

Extract is much more forgiving, but still, it pays to prepare.

Good luck!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:57 PM   #10
sok454
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
chatham, il
Posts: 742
Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts


How much time should I assume my first batch will take? I am using Extract.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Excited about keg kit stinkydadhomebrew Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 16 05-14-2011 03:51 PM
New and excited fujieagle Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 2 04-30-2010 12:02 PM
Getting excited to start Locorcr Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 5 12-19-2009 09:59 PM
Excited fire943 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 1 03-25-2009 08:34 PM
well im getting excited Jm9301 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 16 10-12-2008 08:29 PM


Forum Jump