Coconuts!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TsunamiBeer

Reaction score
I brewed a brown ale on Sunday that I want to add coconut to. I have read a few methods of adding the coconut, including adding it to secondary. This is the way I am leaning, but want to see if adding it to primary after krausen has subsided would do the same thing. I usually just do single fermentations, and one less transfer sounds good to me. The krausen is gone and the beer is clearing, should I just toast it and dump it in?

I'm going to piggy back here because I had an entirely different question about coconut flavor. Is there a way to achieve a coconut flavor without "adding" anything? i.e. Fermenting a hefe yeast hot will give banana without adding banana. Is there a malt, yeast, or hop that has a coconut flavor?

I added coconut to a fermented beverage once (not beer). It had zero effect on the final product. Coudn't taste it at all. I had at least one whole cut-up coconut in 2 gallons.

So, you might consider something other than just raw coconut.

Back