Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > simplicity recipes

Old 10-06-2012, 07:14 PM   #11
Gixxer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 126 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 150

Denny, what is your opinion on some of the recipes that scald the decoction mash in a hot pot instead of bring it to a boil slowly? My concern is how much of a margin for error is there from browning the mash and burning it?

On Deck The Kaiser, Blue Moon, oatmeal porter

Old 10-06-2012, 07:31 PM   #12
LouBrew13
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny

Considering some of those recipes are mine, I'd say I've successfully brewed and enjoyed them!
They looked great that's why I posted. Thanks for sharing them. I love Belgians and the flavors they have. And the syrups are easier than making my own invert sugar.

Old 10-06-2012, 08:56 PM   #13
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 474 Times on 350 Posts
Likes Given: 593

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer View Post
Denny, what is your opinion on some of the recipes that scald the decoction mash in a hot pot instead of bring it to a boil slowly? My concern is how much of a margin for error is there from browning the mash and burning it?
At first thought, that seems like a bad idea, but I haven't actually looked at the recipes that do that. Could you give me a link, then I'll comment? BTW, I don't think much if decoctions in general. My experience is that unless you do a rigorous triple decoction, you don't really get enough from them to be worth the time and effort. Even the effects of a triple decoction can be minimal.

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 10-06-2012, 09:44 PM   #14
Gixxer
Recipes 

Liked 126 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 150

The Westvleteren 12 clone is one that mentions this. Halfway down in the section labeled a note on decoction.

http://www.candisyrup.com/uploads/6/...one_-_017a.pdf
On Deck The Kaiser, Blue Moon, oatmeal porter

Old 10-07-2012, 05:07 PM   #15
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 474 Times on 350 Posts
Likes Given: 593

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer View Post
The Westvleteren 12 clone is one that mentions this. Halfway down in the section labeled a note on decoction.

http://www.candisyrup.com/uploads/6/...one_-_017a.pdf
Thanks for the link. I guess I have a couple comments. First, if it works to duplicate flavor and there are no off flavors, then I guess it's the right thing to do. Second, after consulting BLAM, it doesn't look like Westvleteren does decoctions. That makes sense to me since almost no Belgian breweries do. I think that the homebrew recipe is an attempt to recreate a flavor that the real thing gets through other means.

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014