Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Raisins for carbonation?

Old 11-30-2012, 01:17 AM   #31
ScootersAle
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 7

This is really interesting. Was thinking about making a high gravity spiced/winter beer early next year for next xmas. Would be interesting to carb it with raisins

Old 11-30-2012, 10:51 AM   #32
JustusLiebig
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DacotahBrewing View Post
Three raisins carbed perfectly
Well it sure looks good to me, but how does it taste?
Scooter, a spiced beer sounds like a great idea. I'm salivating about using them in a nut brown ale to accentuate that plum and raisin flavor.
Hell, use it in a farmhouse ale.

Old 11-30-2012, 01:44 PM   #33
Bradinator
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I am also interested in hearing if the raisins added anything to the final product outside of good carbonation.

Also, how long did you let it bottle condition for?

"Beer is pretty resilient stuff, its resistant to human stupidity"

Bradinator's Brews

Old 11-30-2012, 03:07 PM   #34
DacotahBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

Sorry I didn't give much information in my last post. A fellow Brewer and I were attempting to make an oatmeal raisin cookie beer. We used raisins in the primary as well as spicing it with cinnamon, nutmeg, Ginger, clove, and vanilla. The raisins never came through so the beer is basically a spiced brown ale.

Carbing with raisins added zero flavor. Even with a pound of raisins in primary and using crystal 120 in the malt bill the raisins just never came through.

I would be interested in carbing with other fruit. Figs come to mind.

It has been bottle conditioning for a week and a half.
shanek17 Likes This 
Old 11-30-2012, 03:13 PM   #35
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2857 Times on 1691 Posts
Likes Given: 3507

I'm going to add a link of this discussion to the post in the bottling sticky about alternative priming methods.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew
Mr_Pear Likes This 
Old 11-30-2012, 03:42 PM   #36
DacotahBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

I also want to add that carbing with raisins in other styles might come through better. The beer we used it in had a lot going on with spicing and the malt bill. It could add a nice complexity to a saison.

Also be aware that when you pour from the bottle the raisins will be floating and stripped of their color. Your friends might not like the sight of off-white solids floating in their beer.
shanek17 Likes This 
Old 11-30-2012, 04:28 PM   #37
DRonco
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DacotahBrewing View Post
Three raisins carbed perfectly
One more thought, what size bottles did you use? I wonder if you'd scale the amount of raisins to fit the size of your bottle, considering the volume of beer will vary slightly.

I'll be packaging a Patersbier in a couple weeks. I'm considering this for a couple of them.

Thanks for your feedback!

Old 11-30-2012, 07:07 PM   #38
DacotahBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRonco

One more thought, what size bottles did you use? I wonder if you'd scale the amount of raisins to fit the size of your bottle, considering the volume of beer will vary slightly.

I'll be packaging a Patersbier in a couple weeks. I'm considering this for a couple of them.

Thanks for your feedback!
We used 12oz bottles. We did fill one bomber and doubled the raisins to 6. I am not sure why we chose to double them. I suspect it will be a bottle bomb but who knows. I will follow up when I know.

Old 12-06-2012, 07:46 PM   #39
DacotahBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

I want to give some more feedback now that it has been a few weeks.

I have had both raisin carbed beer and the corn sugar primed beer side by side and have not found much different.

What I have found different is the raisins carbed the beer more than the measured sugar did. We primed half the batch to 2.2 Vols and we used 3 raisins in each bottle for the other half. The raisin batch seems to have a little more carbonation.

I still can not confirm any sort of flavor from the raisins. I feel like there is a very, very slight difference between the two, but I am unsure if its because I know they are different. I think I will have to do a blind tasting with a few people and see if they can find a difference.

I will say that the carbonating with the raisins has leveled off. I know there were some people that thought the raisins would add some wild yeast, but I do not think this will be the case. Maybe we got lucky (we did not sanitize the fruit in any way, and we dropped them into bottles with unsanitized hands). We used organic raisins with no sulfites or preservatives.

I also have not found any inconsistencies with the carbonation. We did not pick through the raisins to find like sizes -- we used whatever we grabbed, but only 3. Smaller, larger, medium, whatever. The odd thing that I have been finding is, as I pour the beer, and subsequently the raisins, all 3 of the raisins have swelled to almost exactly the same size.

I am interested to hear what others will find. It seems as though there are a few other people out there that are giving this a try. I say it's worth the experiment. I have not, in any way, found this practice to ruin the beer.

Old 12-06-2012, 09:44 PM   #40
DRonco
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts

I'm going to try to bottle my Patersbier on Sunday. I plan to do this experiment on a few of them.