Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Too many hops?!

Old 10-04-2012, 01:09 AM   #11
BuddyBrews
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaps10 View Post
I read somewhere that anything over 100 ibu isn't discernible, except for aroma. I've brewed and tasted some hop blasted beers and feel that this is fairly accurate. What I have found is that the hopped up beasts offer more flavor and aroma when the hops used are paired nicely.
Good to know!! Do you think these will pair up nicely?

1.00 oz warrior (60 min first wort hop)
1.00 oz zythos (60 min)
1.00 oz citra (60 min)
1.00 oz centennial (45 min)
1.00 oz cascade (45 min)
1.00 oz centennial (30 min)
1.00 oz centennial (10 min)
1.00 oz cascade (10 min)

Old 10-04-2012, 09:07 AM   #12
snaps10
Recipes 

Liked 173 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I do. I'm not very familiar with Zythos, but from what I've read it sounds good there. I'm interested to see how your Citra at 60 without another addition turns out. I've only used Citra at later additions and dry hops. I have always been a fan of pairing centennial and cascade.

bluntsandbeers Likes This 
Old 10-04-2012, 02:32 PM   #13
BuddyBrews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
I do. I'm not very familiar with Zythos, but from what I've read it sounds good there. I'm interested to see how your Citra at 60 without another addition turns out. I've only used Citra at later additions and dry hops. I have always been a fan of pairing centennial and cascade.
Hmmmm. Ya i hope the early citra addition was a good decision. Was trying to match the alpha of the warrior and citra was the closest one. BtW the zythos and the warrior smelled soo good!! Thinking of making a simple pale recipe just using those.

Old 10-06-2012, 04:10 AM   #14
agentEhrman
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluntsandbeers View Post
Good to know!! Do you think these will pair up nicely?

1.00 oz warrior (60 min first wort hop)
1.00 oz zythos (60 min)
1.00 oz citra (60 min)
1.00 oz centennial (45 min)
1.00 oz cascade (45 min)
1.00 oz centennial (30 min)
1.00 oz centennial (10 min)
1.00 oz cascade (10 min)
Did you brew this from the couch on your porch?
Old 10-06-2012, 05:04 AM   #15
kylevester
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentEhrman View Post
I really think shifting most of those to 20 minutes and less in the boil would give you more hop flavor and aroma!
Agreed. Take one or two of the 45 minute additions, double the amount, and then FWH or add at 20 min left.

Centennial works really well in FWH, along with Amarillo, Chinook (at least the batch I got, which was not as piney and very grapefruity), and Cascade, in my experiences. I bet Simcoe would do well too, but I've not FWH with it yet.

I advocate shifting more hops at less time boiling since I read about it, tried it, and had my "standard" IPA come out much better using the same recipe but with either FWH or loaded up late additions. You get the bitterness and the hop aroma and flavor and it just makes a better beer.
Old 10-07-2012, 12:29 AM   #16
BuddyBrews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylevester View Post
Agreed. Take one or two of the 45 minute additions, double the amount, and then FWH or add at 20 min left.

Centennial works really well in FWH, along with Amarillo, Chinook (at least the batch I got, which was not as piney and very grapefruity), and Cascade, in my experiences. I bet Simcoe would do well too, but I've not FWH with it yet.

I advocate shifting more hops at less time boiling since I read about it, tried it, and had my "standard" IPA come out much better using the same recipe but with either FWH or loaded up late additions. You get the bitterness and the hop aroma and flavor and it just makes a better beer.
Got ya!! Cheers!!

Old 10-07-2012, 12:33 AM   #17
BuddyBrews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Def gonna put more citra in for dry hopping!!