Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Can someone please tell me what this is!!

Old 10-02-2012, 10:45 PM   #1
Pugs13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Can someone please tell me what this is!!

I don't think the beer is infected because I tasted it a couple days ago and it tasted really nice. This is the first time I worked with geletin finnings and I actually used them into my secondary by racking over it. Both beers seem to have this thin layer of film on top. I am assuming this is something cause by using the gelatin? I have never seen this before! Hope the beer is not bad...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1035.jpg
Views:	411
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	78022   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1040.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	78023  

Old 10-02-2012, 10:46 PM   #2
davekippen
Recipes 

Liked 164 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 418

I got some bad news for ya Pugs.....

Hit me on Untappd https://untappd.com/user/davekippen

Old 10-02-2012, 10:47 PM   #3
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 440 Times on 359 Posts
Likes Given: 63

Sure looks like the beginnings of an infection to me. Take a look at the thread entitled something like "photos of your pellicle" for reference.

EDIT:

OK here is a link:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f127/pel...ection-174033/

Old 10-02-2012, 10:48 PM   #4
g-star
Recipes 

Liked 104 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 18

That is a no-doubter infection.

Old 10-02-2012, 10:56 PM   #5
Pugs13
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Damnit! Just took a look at some other photos! With about 2 years experience brewing this is the very first time I have ever had an infection! That is why I didn't know for sure! With winter coming here in Minesota, brewing inside I think will be more sanitary. It seems as if it is so damn hard to to keep things sanitary outside and not only that but the possiblility of stuff flying in your wort and wild yeast in the air! This is just too bad...darn! Thanks guys!

Old 10-02-2012, 11:10 PM   #6
ErieShores
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 149

I had the same problem with my kölsch, I racked below the skin and it tasted fine.

Old 10-02-2012, 11:14 PM   #7
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 6216 Times on 4428 Posts
Likes Given: 1666

One thing that I"ve noticed in the last couple of years- whenever anybody gets a pellicle, it's almost always in secondary and almost always with a beer with quite a bit of headspace. It's possible to get infections in primary, of course, but not as likely if it's well sanitized. It has to do with the headspace once fermentation stops or slows. I suspect that is what happened here. An oxygen loving bacteria or yeast will take advantage of that much headspace and since the beer isn't producing c02 any more to cover the surface of the beer, an infection can result.

I'd suggest skipping secondary next time. Just do the primary, and then keg or bottle the beer after 3 weeks. If you don't open the fermenter repeatedly, it should be safer and have less risk of infection.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
somedudefromguam Likes This 
Old 10-02-2012, 11:15 PM   #8
Xpertskir
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 442 Times on 285 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Either jackson pollock painted the surface of your beer or you have an infection.

Old 10-03-2012, 12:25 PM   #9
Pugs13
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper
One thing that I"ve noticed in the last couple of years- whenever anybody gets a pellicle, it's almost always in secondary and almost always with a beer with quite a bit of headspace. It's possible to get infections in primary, of course, but not as likely if it's well sanitized. It has to do with the headspace once fermentation stops or slows. I suspect that is what happened here. An oxygen loving bacteria or yeast will take advantage of that much headspace and since the beer isn't producing c02 any more to cover the surface of the beer, an infection can result.

I'd suggest skipping secondary next time. Just do the primary, and then keg or bottle the beer after 3 weeks. If you don't open the fermenter repeatedly, it should be safer and have less risk of infection.
When I rack to secondary I usually shoot CO2 over the top before plugging with the air lock. What could have happened is the co2 could blown in bad stuff...do you think I should keg this still or dump? I mean how much luck has brewers had trying to make this still dribkable?
If I do a 3 week primary, once I keg it should I let it age a little longer in at room temp before putting into the fridge or are you saying 3 weeks primary, keg, and carbonate, drink? What about dry hopping stages and/or oaking? I have never dry hopped in a keg...

Old 10-03-2012, 12:33 PM   #10
unionrdr
struggling author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3024 Times on 2606 Posts
Likes Given: 2137

Infections grow on the surface,but the flavors/smells extend down into the beer.