Is this an infection? I can't tell
So I'm brewing an Imperial IPA. I was wicked strict about sanitation (I'm a microbiologist), using StarSan religiously on EVERYTHING. The recipe:
19.6 lbs of Malt Extract, + DME, and 1 extra lb of dextrose
2 oz Warrior hops at the beginning of boil (90 minute)
1 oz Warrior hops at 60 minutes
1 oz Simcoe hops at 45 minutes
1 oz Falconer's Flight at 30 minutes
3/4 tsp Irish moss at the 15 minute mark
1 lb of Dextrose at the 10 minute mark
1 oz of Falconer's Flight & 1 oz of Simcoe hops at the remaining 5 minutes.
pitched 2 packets of US-05 ale yeast, and hopefully ferment between 67F and 74F. First two days were at 80F, I simply couldn't control the ferocious fermentation released energy that was going on.
Now I check it around 13 days later, and this is what I see. It smells good though, and no weird film, just these orange circles floating on the top. Is this bacteria? I can't tell if its hops or not.
I have a pretty good nose for bacteria and mold, I've worked with a ton of it. These patterns of small colonies strike me as potential contamination though, however the orange definitely would scream mold to me if it was between bacteria or mold.