Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Greenbush Brewing Distorter

Old 10-02-2012, 08:46 PM   #1
thomismydad
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Greenbush Brewing Distorter

Took a weekend trip to Michigan and just had this beer. It was great. Here is a description...

http://www.greenbushbrewing.com/beers/distorter.htm

So now, I'm trying to put a clone together of course. Any thoughts on this?

5.5 gallon/AG

mash 152

13 lb maris otter
1 lb crystal 60L
8oz chocolate
4oz roasted barley
4oz black patent

2oz EKG 60 min
1.5oz williamette 30 min
1oz cascade 5 min

WLP001

That put IBUs at 49 and color at 34 L, not quite right on with their description. I had problems getting the color down and cutting too much roast (it was a pretty roasty beer). Did I cut too much?

Old 10-02-2012, 09:39 PM   #2
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 505 Times on 467 Posts
Likes Given: 226

Since these guys are friends of mine I can tell you I love this beer, unfortunately I can't help you more specifically though, they do keep certain things under wraps LOL! I believe they use a English Ale Yeast but I'm not sure. I do know they use a lot of Maris and I think they try to keep an English style for their base and this beer was designed to be more of a porter than a stout. I think you have a pretty good start and if you drop the black patent a bit you;ll get the color better. Curious to know how this turns out for you! Scott is a pretty accessible guy, you might try emailing him the recipe and see if he gives you any input

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 10-03-2012, 02:05 PM   #3
thomismydad
Recipes 

Must be some great friends to have! Thanks for the advice. I'll check back with results when I brew it, but it probably won't be for a few months. I have a few others in the pipeline.