Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > question about bottling a year old beer and yeast

Old 10-02-2012, 06:17 PM   #1
xkristoferx
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default question about bottling a year old beer and yeast

Hey guys/gals,

I've had Midwest's Old Ale in a carboy with some oak chips for right at a year now. I am getting ready to bottle it but I just thought of something. After a year, there really isn't going to be any yeast left, right? So I'm thinking I should add some yeast before I bottle this. I had 5 gallons and it should be between 6 and 7 abv, I wasn't taking gravity readings last year (sorry).

My friend suggested 2 or 3 "pinches" of champagne yeast because it very good with high alcohol. Does that sound good or is it too or too little.

Thanks!

Old 10-02-2012, 06:36 PM   #2
treehousebrewing
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

The instructions for Denny's Old Stoner Barleywine recipe recommend sprinkling a packet of US-05 into the bottling bucket. You will definitely need some kind of fresh yeast when you're ready to bottle. The yeast in the beer will be pretty pooped.

Old 10-02-2012, 07:42 PM   #3
xkristoferx
Recipes 

Is putting a whole packet of yeast into the bottle bucket really be wise? That seems like a lot of yeast...

Old 10-02-2012, 08:26 PM   #4
beerman0001
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkristoferx View Post
Is putting a whole packet of yeast into the bottle bucket really be wise? That seems like a lot of yeast...
It wont hurt anything, all it does is eat the priming sugar then falls out.
Fermenting:Apfelwein
On Deck:
Hiding in dark corner: Lambic, Flanders red, Oud Bruin, DFH 120(in bottles)