Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Winners Drawn!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Efficiency question
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2012, 03:25 PM   #1
rcp197
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 45
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Efficiency question

I made my fourth brew and first all grain (BIAB) last night...a dragons milk clone. My OG came out at 1.071, but the BYO magazine said it should be 1.080. I brewed 5.5 gal to account for trub loss. I plugged the grains and gravity into brewers friend to get my efficiency and it looks like I was at 80% which was very surprising. Did the volume difference account for the gap between my OG and the 1.08 or am I missing something?? Thoughts on how this will affect taste of the finished product?


rcp197 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:06 PM   #2
TopherM
BJCP ID: F0838
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
TopherM's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Posts: 3,948
Liked 437 Times on 346 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Default

If your OG was supposed to be 1.080, and you came in at 1.071, then you did NOT hit 80% efficiency. The recipe should have assumed 72-75% efficiency, so with 72-75% efficiency, you would have been at 1.080 OG.

You had an actual efficiency closer to the high 60s, like 66-68%ish. At 80% actual efficiency, you would have been closer to 1.09 OG.

Did you not plug in that you yielded 5.5 gallons instead of 5.0? One of the numbers in your efficiency calculation is off.

Is this a pre-boil efficiency calculation, or post-boil?? Did you account for temp?


__________________
Primary #1 - Midnight Ryeder (Midnight Wheat and Rye)
Primary #2 - Florida Weiss
Primary #3 - Kane-DOH APA (Honey Citra APA)
Secondary #1 - Downtown Flanders Brown (brewed August 2012)
Keg #1 - Raspberry Florida Weiss
Keg #2 - Cinnamon Raisin Cider
Keg #3 - NONE!
Bottled - NONE!
TopherM is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:20 PM   #3
BBL_Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
BBL_Brewer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Kokomo, IN
Posts: 3,701
Liked 434 Times on 299 Posts
Likes Given: 323

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopherM View Post
If your OG was supposed to be 1.080, and you came in at 1.071, then you did NOT hit 80% efficiency. The recipe should have assumed 72-75% efficiency, so with 72-75% efficiency, you would have been at 1.080 OG.

You had an actual efficiency closer to the high 60s, like 66-68%ish. At 80% actual efficiency, you would have been closer to 1.09 OG.

Did you not plug in that you yielded 5.5 gallons instead of 5.0? One of the numbers in your efficiency calculation is off.

Is this a pre-boil efficiency calculation, or post-boil?? Did you account for temp?
Efficiency does not change whether you take a gravity reading pre-boil or post boil. The only thing that changes is volume, not the amount of sugar you extracted from the grain. We don't know what his grain bill was, so we can't determine his efficiency.

To the OP. The added volume is your culprit. If you had 5.5 gallons of 1.071 gravity wort then you had ~390 points (71 x 5.5 = 390). Divide 390 points by 5 gallons and you get a gravity of ~1.078. Pretty close to the 1.080 you were shooting for.
__________________
Slots Down Brewery
Stick with the plan....not the sparge.


Never Ending Liquid Yeast - How to Farm Yeast and Freeze it.

BBL_Brewer is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:46 AM   #4
rcp197
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 45
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Thanks for the input. I checked my numbers i entered in brewers friend multiple times and did input 5.5 gal. The only thing I couldn't do was enter a last grain, but it was .25 lb, so I didn't think it was a huge deal. Here's my grain bill:

10 lb 2 row
1.5 lb Munich malt
.5 crystal 80
.5 crystal 120
.5 flaked oats
10 oz chocolate malt
.25 wheat malt
rcp197 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools



Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS