Which PID for temp monitoring and gas valves - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Automated Brewing Forum > Which PID for temp monitoring and gas valves
Sign-up To NEW HBT Article Newsletter - Brewing Articles Direct To You!

Old 10-02-2012, 12:46 PM   #1
BeerDane
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Which PID for temp monitoring and gas valves

Hi all

I am looking at the PID's from Auberins.com for monitoring temp in my kettles, but im confused by all the different types.

Do i need SSR control output or could i just settle for this one : http://www.auberins.com/index.php?ma...9bd57bff12c743

the difference is only a few $, but i dont want to buy the wrong kind.

I am planning to use a 4" thermocouple sensor, 1/4" NPT thread as it fits in my sight glass tee fitting:
http://www.auberins.com/index.php?ma...roducts_id=109

Thanks

Beerdane - from the country of Carlsberg, but definitely not drinking it :-)

Old 10-02-2012, 02:21 PM   #2
Misplaced_Canuck
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 161 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 57

The PID you mention has K input, which matches your K sensor. That's good.

The PID also runs on 85V-260V AC, which means you can use it for 110V or 220V brewing, also good.

The PID's output is 3A at 240 VAC/ SSR: 8VDC, 40 mA. This means that you'll need to find a SSR that can accept only 8VDC and draws a max of 40mA OR 240 VAC/3A as its input. You'll need to do a little research there.

BTW, make sure that you have enough depth for a 4" sensor. I ended up using part# TC-K50MMNP which is only 2", worked very well for me.

MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebstauffer
Needless to say after more than a few drams my mental efficiency matched my mashing efficiency.

Old 10-03-2012, 08:29 AM   #3
BeerDane
Recipes 

Hi MC

Thx for your reply. I decided to order the SYL-2352 and the 4 inch sensor as there is plenty of room for it. Im not sure i understand what the SSR is needed for. Until i get my gas valves i will be using the PID for temp monitoring only so i guess an ssr is not needed here ?

Old 10-03-2012, 01:46 PM   #4
Misplaced_Canuck
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 161 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerDane View Post
Hi MC

Thx for your reply. I decided to order the SYL-2352 and the 4 inch sensor as there is plenty of room for it. Im not sure i understand what the SSR is needed for. Until i get my gas valves i will be using the PID for temp monitoring only so i guess an ssr is not needed here ?
The SSR (solid state relay) would be needed only if you plan on having the PID activate anything, like a heating element, a gas/water valve, etc. If you're just monitoring the temps, you don't need any SSR outputs.

Also, when you put this together, have a look at the owner's manual. It will tell you how to set the PID for a K-type probe. It's usually ether DIP switches or a small rotary dial.

MC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebstauffer
Needless to say after more than a few drams my mental efficiency matched my mashing efficiency.

Old 10-03-2012, 06:17 PM   #5
ThreeDogsNE
Good for what ales you
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 36

I bought 2342s. The internal 10 amp relays allow me to directly wire to outlets for my keezer, fermentations fridges, and 120 volt ASCO valves. IIRC, it came set up for K type probes. Cycling through the control choices (lower left front) gives a multitude of options, including probe type, and heating vs cooling settings. That last one seemed easy for me to get wrong. I burned up one fridge compressor motor with the wrong setting. I suggest reading that section in the instructions carefully, when not too tired, and before consuming any brew!