Blonde Ale Jamil's Blonde Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobby_M

Vendor and Brewer
HBT Sponsor
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
US-05 Dry
Yeast Starter
no
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
no
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
na
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
17 IBU
Color
3.4 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
na
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
na
Additional Fermentation
na
Went super basic based on Jamil's Blonde Ale podcast. I'll update when it's done:

#14 Blonde
6-B Blonde Ale

Size: 6 gal
Efficiency: 80.0%
Attenuation: 78.0%
Calories: 138.73 per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.042 (1.038 - 1.054)
Terminal Gravity: 1.009 (1.008 - 1.013)
Color: 3.4 (3.0 - 6.0)
Alcohol: 4.29% (3.8% - 5.5%)
Bitterness: 17.65 (15.0 - 28.0)

Ingredients:
8.5 lbs 2-Row Brewers Malt
.5 lbs 2-Row Caramel Malt 10L
1 oz Fuggle (4.8%) - added during boil, boiled 55.0 min
0.0 ea Fermentis US-05 Safale US-05

Schedule:
Ambient Air: 90.0 °F
Source Water: 80.0 °F
Elevation: 0.0 m

00:27:42 Mash In - Liquor: 2.74 gal; Strike: 166.5 °F; Target: 152.0 °F
01:27:42 Saccharification Rest - Rest: 60.0 min; Final: 148.1 °F
01:28:42 Mash Out Infusion - Water: 2.5 gal; Temperature: 193.3 °F; Target: 168.0 °F
01:28:42 Sparge - First run: 0.0 gal sparge @ 168.0 °F, 4.3 gal collected, 0.0 min; Sparge #1: 3.36 gal sparge @ 168.0 °F, 2.65 gal collected, 0.0 min; Total Runoff: 7.11 gal

Notes:
Infused 2.75g at 167F, stablized at 154F. Temp loss to 152 at 60 minutes.
Mash out infusion, 2.5g at 195, settled at 164F.
Vorlauf, drain 4 gallons.
Sparge infusion, 3.25g at 166F, settle to 160F.
Vorlauf, drain 3.25g. Total volume in kettle 7.25

Cooling was tough. Recirc'd through CFC to 120F, then drained icewater through. Had to pitch at 83F but put into freezer at 67F. Tap temp was 82F.

This blonde has been in primary for 17 days now and it's done at 1.007. The sample tasted really good and I can see it's going to turn out into a fine lawnmower beer. I'm just glad nothing went wrong. I know how hard it is to hide off flavors with a blonde, low IBU beer. There's something freeing about a recipe this simple when you start getting out of hand with 10-ingredient monsters.

Congrats! Keg the puppy and let me know how it turns out in 2 more weeks. My blonde just went in the fermenter. It is a little heavier, but lighter in color. I used Nottingham for mine.

Just a quick followup. This has been in the kegger for a few days and it's carbed now. I took it to a family BBQ this weekend and they went through a gallon in no time. It was widely accepted by BMC and craft brew drinkers alike. It's a winner. It's so cheap to make so I'm going to stock up on it come spring time.

Congrats! I kegged mine today after 11 days in the bucket. It finished at 1.007 too and I could taste the bitterness of that ounce of Hallertau Herzbrucker at 60 min. though. It should mellow after a couple weeks on gas I hope.

Beertools is putting mine at 17 IBU because I only boiled for 55 minutes. This is by far the least hoppy brew I've made. I think another 10 minutes of boil or a tenth of an ounce more would be perfect.

bgrand281 said:
can you extract that, I am nowhere near all grain,

LME you multiply by .75
DME you multiply by .6

So you would use 6.375 lbs of LME to replace the 8.5 lbs 2-Row Brewers Malt or 5.1 lbs of DME

And just steep the .5 lbs 2-Row Caramel Malt 10L :D

colud I add blueberries to the secondary for this beer? How do you think the flavors would work?

The Blond in his book calls for williamette hops

If you want to try an really good recipe try Jamills Cream ale from his book its amazing

I wonder when he changed it. Maybe I'm mistaken but I thought his podcast episode simply called for an ounce of Fuggle. I'm far too lazy to go look it up and listen to it.

If you want to try an really good recipe try Jamills Cream ale from his book its amazing

I use his blonde recipe with williamette for my my house ale, I renamed it and call it Superior Blonde it always goes the fastest out of what ever I have on tap (usually 8 to choose from).

Drooling... I so need to do a low IBU, low alcohol beer that is non-blended. I am scouting out recipes, but lager is next on the agenda so ales will have to wait. I'm looking forward to lawnmower ales this next summer.

Going to brew a variant of this one on Sunday. Jamil's recipe calls for Crystal 15....which my LHBS does not carry. (I haven't really seen it anywhere, for that matter.) So, anyway, I split the total Crystal bill in half: Half Crystal 10 and half Crystal 20. Also, as stated previously, in Jamil's book, Williamette hops are used - also, OG is 1.051 (so it's a little heavier.) I am following the recipe pretty much straight outta the book. Seems like a crowd pleaser!

Any point to a longer mash / boil for this one? I know a lot of cream ale recipes recommend it. Course, there's no adjuncts in this recipe, so perhaps it's not worth it.

Any other advise from those experienced with this recipe??

Looks nice and simple!
:mug:

bkov -

Not quite sure what you mean? The recipe is at the top of this thread.

I can post the recipe as written in Jamil's book, if you need it. Can't do it now though...as I don't have the book with me.

It's basically American 2-row, 1lb of 10L and an ounce of Willamette at 60 mins. The 2-row would be enough to hit 1.050 depending on your efficiency.

I'm brewing 11 gallons of it tomorrow but dropping the OG to 1.038 and 16 IBU.

is that recipe the same exact as the one posted here just with williamette in the same amount and time instead of these hops?
because i saw a totaly different recipe for a 1st place blonde ale of his posted somewhere else with willamette

is that recipe the same exact as the one posted here just with williamette in the same amount and time instead of these hops?
because i saw a totaly different recipe for a 1st place blonde ale of his posted somewhere else with willamette

The one in the book is the same with 3 exceptions: in the book it calls for Willamette, in the book the recipe is for 70% efficiency, and in the book it calls for 15L crystal.

I think I am brewing this one very soon to be ready for the warm days around the corner.

ok. the one i saw posted on another site was:
92.0 11.50 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) Great Britain 1.038 3
4.0 0.50 lbs. Honey Malt Canada 1.030 18
4.0 0.50 lbs. Crystal 15L America 1.035 15

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.10 oz. Willamette Pellet 5.00 22.0 60 min.
0.50 oz. Willamette Pellet 5.00 3.4 20 min.
0.25 oz. Willamette Pellet 5.00 0.8 1 min.

BKOV -

I saw that recipe somewhere, too. Which is also different than in the book. Here is the recipe as written in "Brewing Classic Styles":

OG: 1.050
FG: 1.011
IBU: 20
Color: 4 srm
ABV: 5.2%
boil: 60 min
Pre boil volume: 7 gal

11.5 lbs. American 2 row
.5 lbs. Crystal 15 ( I couldnt find 15 so I used half 10 and half 20)

Williamette hops, 5.0%AA, 1 oz, 60 min.

Yeast: White labs Cali ale, Wyeast 1056 American Ale

Mash at 152
Ferment at 67

All recipes in his book are based on 70% efficiency.

Good luck!! Hope this helps. I tried to PM you the recipe, but your box was full.

:mug:

Would this be a good one to try a little Lemon or Orange zest in it?

This is definitely a good lawnmower beer, though not particularly my style. My wife drinks it with a lime, and tells me it pairs nicely. Like Corona, only a lot better. :)

Just a quick note. If you want it to taste like an ale at all, don't use Nottingham. Go with the US-05 or WLP001. Well, I should clarify... if your ferment is in the low 60's, US-05 still produces a nice mild fruity ester. Nottingham is deader than dead.

I racked this beer to the secondary after 7 days with a SG of 1046 and FG of 1008. I had to sample the hydrometeor sample. Oh yea that’s tasty

I just meant that its a super clean ferment in the low to mid 60's and offers very little by way of esters. If you want it to taste a little more like a lager it's fine. I suppose you can ferment it a little warmer like 68F also. Otherwise, US-05/WLP001 might be a better choice.

I just meant that its a super clean ferment in the low to mid 60's and offers very little by way of esters. If you want it to taste a little more like a lager it's fine. I suppose you can ferment it a little warmer like 68F also. Otherwise, US-05/WLP001 might be a better choice.

Thank you for your input.

I think this is going to be my next brew, but I am going to use MO since I have a ton of it on hand. I'll let you know how it turns out.

If you use MO, skip the crystal. You won't need any more sweet/malty flavor.
I just caught this thread and think I might brew this on Sunday. I have no domestic 2-row, but a lot of Golden Promise and Belgian Pilsner malt on hand, so I'll be using one of those. Probably the GP. Good point on dropping the crystal when using MO, Bobby! I'll probably do the same if I use GP. I don't have any S-05 on hand, so I'll probably use Notty at ~68oF. Besides, I think I'd like a lager-like beer!:)

Just thinking out loud here - I wonder what would happen if I used the Pilsner as my base, kept the crystal, upped things a bit and did a 90 min. boil to drive off DMS. Any thoughts from youse guyze?:drunk:

I did and you are right it's great, so great infact I took a third place win at the Michigan State Fair with it.

Brewed this one up about a week and a half ago. Hit 1.041 and it finished at 1.008. So far its tastes really good and its super light. Going to toss it in the keg today and see how it tastes again in a week.

Oh, i also decided to try out Ahtanum hops at 60min instead of the originally listed hops.

It seems like this recipe could be used with any hops and it'll give you a good beer. I'll be brewing this up with some hallertau in a week or two.

i've brewed it 3 times now, great beer. its one where BMC people will try and probably like. i like using liquid Cali ale yeast, its low in IBU's & %ABV and is great for washing. i try to keep it on one of the 4 taps.

In the podcast he mentions that the crystal malt isn't even completely necessary.

I was wondering what y'all think of subbing out the crystal in place of some toasted 2-row. I'm thinking maybe a nice simple grain bill that looks something like.

7.75 lbs 2-row
.25 lbs toasted 2-row
@85%efficiency

OG - 1.046

1oz Stryian Golding^5.2% @ 60min

20 IBU

I'm thinking about making this my first SMaSH brew; what do y'all think?

Hey Rhoobarb - Did you ever try this with either the Brit base malt or the Pilsner base malt?

Or anyone else have any experience in that respect?

I have to make beer for a wedding and want to make something that everyone would enjoy. I have made the recipe as written in Brewing Classic Styles, but was interested in subtle changes/ improvements.

Latest posts

Back