Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Bourbon County Stout Clone in a 5gal MLT

Old 07-15-2013, 04:37 PM   #21
bnuttz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

My process was just to soak the oak cubes (~1 oz) in bourbon (half bottle) in a jar while the beer was in the primary. Then I dumped the whole lot into the secondary for 2 months. I then added more bourbon to taste (settled on 1 liter total). This raised the ABV by 1.7% per my calculations. My beer ended at 1.044 BTW.

Unfortunately I still have not done the side by side. Possibly Wednesday at my club meeting. I haven't forgotten about you guys.

Johnnyhitch1 Likes This 
Old 07-15-2013, 06:19 PM   #22
Johnnyhitch1
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 235 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnuttz View Post
Unfortunately I still have not done the side by side. Possibly Wednesday at my club meeting. I haven't forgotten about you guys.
Cant wait for this!
Been dying for a recipe to start a solera and this might be it!!

Primary:DUST
Kegged:AIR
BOTTLES:

Beer: NZ Brett (BD:9/16/12)
Mead: Blueberry-lemon, Raspberry-Lime, Habenero, POM, Traditional.

Old 07-20-2013, 02:43 AM   #23
bnuttz
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

OK, I am finally drinking a side by side right now. Here are my notes compared to a 2012 Bourbon County Stout.

-Bourbon County is less roasty. Some of the dark grains could probably be backed off
-Bourbon County has less overt bourbon flavor. The bourbon could probably be backed off some as well. I can say that it has more bourbon than my original addition which was 375 ml, but less than 1 liter which I have in mine
-The Bourbon County is smoother. This is probably due to age. I took care to ferment mine as cleanly as possible at low temps. From what I know, bourbon county spends about a year in bourbon barrels, and was in the bottles before I even brewed mine, so it was probably brewed a year earlier at least. I don't know how to remedy this besides age.

Old 07-20-2013, 02:46 AM   #24
bnuttz
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

First thoughts would be back the roast barley off to 1 lb and bourbon off to 750 ml. But I have no idea if that is enough on either. This beer is way to big to make blanket judgements, but that would be my first step. I will taste it again when the 2013 Bourbon County comes out, and see how some more age helps it out.

Overall, the homebrew version is very good. I think the munich malt is what makes this beer what it is.

Old 08-16-2013, 01:04 AM   #25
Brihaus
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Anyone have a problem getting these high finishing gravity stouts to carb in the bottle? I added dextrose to carb at 2.0 per Beersmith. It's been 5 weeks & is perfectly flat. Do I just need to let it sit longer?

Fermentation with Wyeast 1056 ended at I think 1.045. I'm wondering if abv is too high for the yeast to wake up in the bottle. Don't have the numbers handy, but it's about 10-10.5%. I've got it sitting in 74 degree room. Anyone have this problem?

Old 08-16-2013, 01:11 AM   #26
sfrisby
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 13 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 262 Times on 175 Posts
Likes Given: 24

St this ABV, it will need 3+ months to carb up.

Old 08-16-2013, 01:27 AM   #27
Johnnyhitch1
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 235 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brihaus View Post
Anyone have a problem getting these high finishing gravity stouts to carb in the bottle? I added dextrose to carb at 2.0 per Beersmith. It's been 5 weeks & is perfectly flat. Do I just need to let it sit longer?

Fermentation with Wyeast 1056 ended at I think 1.045. I'm wondering if abv is too high for the yeast to wake up in the bottle. Don't have the numbers handy, but it's about 10-10.5%. I've got it sitting in 74 degree room. Anyone have this problem?

Your at the ABV limit for 1056, i dont have experience in re dosing bottles or what strain you should use but i think is where your at now if theres no carb at all. Do you get any bubbles when u woosh it like mouthwash? If you do then give it a few more weeks.

Primary:DUST
Kegged:AIR
BOTTLES:

Beer: NZ Brett (BD:9/16/12)
Mead: Blueberry-lemon, Raspberry-Lime, Habenero, POM, Traditional.

Old 08-16-2013, 04:39 AM   #28
Brihaus
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Nope. I get nothing when I give it a swirl.

I'll give them a shake and warm them a little and see if I can wake it up. In all likelihood, this will push me over the edge to kegging and force carbing. Way too much guessing in bottle carbing.

Old 10-09-2013, 03:22 PM   #29
Beerfly
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Well after researching this to death and since no one has completely perfected their recipe yet, I decided to jump in. My recipe ended up as this:

13.5 lbs. Pale malt 2 row (42.9%)
8 lbs. Munich malt (25.4%)
4.5 lbs. Chocolate malt (14.3%)
3 lbs. Caramel/Crystal 60 (9.5%)
2 lbs. Roasted barley (6.3%)
.5 lb. Black patent malt (1.6%)

2 oz. Willamette 60 minutes
2 oz. Warrior 60 minutes

Irish Ale yeast White Labs WLP-004

I started by brewing up a brown ale and washing the yeast cake to get my needed cells for such a big beer.

Brew day went well until I figured out all grain on this is a trip. I have 2 coolers so mash went great, hit mash temp of 155 with a goal of 156. The problem is there is not nearly enough water left over for a proper sparge. I ended up adding more rinse water until I was running at SG 1.020. Because of the increased volume and still not hitting my desired SG, I boiled until I reached a reading of 1.110 and then added the hops for the boil. After 1 hour I hit my 1.132 which was perfect. Way to much pre-boil time, I think a much larger grain bill and doing 2 batches is what I will do next time. (1st runnings for this beer and 2nd for a Bourbon "light") I was shooting for a 6 gallon batch but because of low efficiency, I now have a 5 gallon batch happily bubbling away.

None of the things I did were my idea, I just took previous posts and found what sounded good to me. As far as hitting an identical clone, I don't care, I just wanted a Big Bourbon stout. The prices of Founders Backwoods Bastard and Bourbon County are killing my wallet. I will be aging on soaked oak chips and not even going to try bottle carbonation. I was going to do 3 oz of heavy toast oak chips but after reading others I will back off to 1.5 oz. I am using a 750 ml bottle of Benchmark Bourbon to soak the chips and add at bottling. It's a much cheaper Bourbon but still ranks right up there. ($10.00)

Old 01-10-2014, 01:07 PM   #30
mbbransc
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I'm curious of any updates on some of these batches.

thx