Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Hillbilly wino (or just cheap drunk)

Old 10-02-2012, 02:44 AM   #1
kiwi74
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Hillbilly wino (or just cheap drunk)

Has anybody bottled their wine in a mason jar for unique gifts or just to try it? I know that canning jars are about the same price as wine bottles, I just thought it would have a good flair with something being homemade. If anyone has, have they had any problems with their wine turning on them or anything?

Old 10-02-2012, 04:24 AM   #2
Honda88
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 54

i wouldnt bottle in a mason jar, the reason moonshiners use mason jars is because the alcohol content is so high that nothing could possibly infect it, wine needs to be sealed from the environment because it doesnt have a high enough alcohol content to protect itself.

Old 10-05-2012, 08:41 PM   #3
Brewkowski
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 25

It might be ok if you were to get some kind of plastic wrap that seals it from any air. With pickling the hot temperature creates a sterile environment and then vacuum seals the jar? If you could do something to guarantee the air not to get in you might be ok. Or if you make sure it's consumed in a short time frame. I would think the lids are fairly air tight once they are tightened. It's worth a shot, as long as it's not your only batch of wine.

Charles Bukowski

Old 10-05-2012, 11:34 PM   #4
sloanfamilydsm
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 110 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I've done it on 1-2gal batches only to store my topping up wine when bulk aging. It has never stayed in the jars more than 3 months but I haven't had any problems with air or the funny coating on the underside of the canning lid.