Thoughts on using "used" corks for bottling - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Winemaking Forum > Thoughts on using "used" corks for bottling

Old 10-01-2012, 06:43 PM   #1
bpparker
Recipes 

Sep 2012
Kansas City, KS
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hi fellow brewers!

I'll be bottling my first batch of wine in a couple weeks and wanted to get some thoughts on using corks from previous bottles of wine that I've drank. I have a bunch of used corks and would like to repurpose them but the folks at my local brewer shop are saying no. Are they just trying to sell me some new corks or is this not a good practice? Thanks in advance for the thoughts!

Old 10-01-2012, 09:25 PM   #2
novalou
Recipes 

Jun 2012
Liked 36 Times on 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpparker
Hi fellow brewers!

I'll be bottling my first batch of wine in a couple weeks and wanted to get some thoughts on using corks from previous bottles of wine that I've drank. I have a bunch of used corks and would like to repurpose them but the folks at my local brewer shop are saying no. Are they just trying to sell me some new corks or is this not a good practice? Thanks in advance for the thoughts!
Not for long term storage.

I do occasionally shove the old cork back in to store for a day or two in the fridge.

Old 10-01-2012, 09:52 PM   #3
GinKings
Recipes 

Apr 2008
Bridgewater, NJ
Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts

Listen to the folks at your local brew shop.

I imagine re-using corks is possible, but I would never risk my wine to save on a 25 cent cork. Glass can be cleaned and sterilized easily, so reusing wine bottles is fine. Re-using corks is not. They are porous and have a million nooks and cranies that can harbor bacteria, so cleaning them is nearly impossible. Also, they've already been compressed for months, if not years, in the first bottle of wine. They may not fit as tightly in the second bottle.

Old 10-01-2012, 10:00 PM   #5
static
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

May 2011
Tacoma, Washington
Liked 54 Times on 43 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
and they have a hole in them from the corkscrew that took them out of the first bottle.

Don't do it.
This.

Old 10-01-2012, 10:28 PM   #6
saramc
Recipes 

Feb 2011
suburb of Louisville, KY
Liked 168 Times on 152 Posts

Repurposing corks for long term use in wine is a recipe for disaster. You have spent so much time and effort on your wine take the time to use proper corks. You will appreciate it years from now.

Old 10-01-2012, 10:51 PM   #7
IXVolt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Apr 2009
Southern Oregon
Liked 79 Times on 54 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
and they have a hole in them from the corkscrew that took them out of the first bottle.

Don't do it.
Unless they used a shoe..

Which I would still use new corks.

Old 10-02-2012, 04:27 AM   #8
Honda88
Recipes 

Jan 2012
Pella, IA
Liked 25 Times on 25 Posts

does that work on #9 corks? It looks like this is more of a in a pinch situation, what happens if you hit the bottle too hard and it breaks??? not practical, do not reuse corks, they are pretty cheap why would you

Old 10-02-2012, 05:15 AM   #9
WilliamSlayer
Recipes 

Aug 2012
Glen Burnie, Maryland
Liked 154 Times on 139 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinKings
Listen to the folks at your local brew shop.

I imagine re-using corks is possible, but I would never risk my wine to save on a 25 cent cork. Glass can be cleaned and sterilized easily, so reusing wine bottles is fine. Re-using corks is not. They are porous and have a million nooks and cranies that can harbor bacteria, so cleaning them is nearly impossible. Also, they've already been compressed for months, if not years, in the first bottle of wine. They may not fit as tightly in the second bottle.
A big second to this one. Your wine deserves a good (new) cork. I reuse bottles all the time, but corks are tossed after you finish a bottle of your homemade deliciousness! (Is that a word??) :-)

Old 10-03-2012, 01:45 PM   #10
bpparker
Recipes 

Sep 2012
Kansas City, KS
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I really appreciate all the thoughts you guys. They helped me wrap my head around the idea. I'll definitely use new corks!