Lime Jalapeno - Awesome at bottling! - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Lime Jalapeno - Awesome at bottling!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2012, 01:24 PM   #1
dewwby
Recipes 
 
Sep 2012
Posts: 9


So, again I started with a simple mead recipe....found anywhere on the net. But it was:
15 lbs honey
2 oz nutrient
water to make 6 gallons
Prim De Mousse (spelling?) yeast

Note I do not boil my must, I just put the honey containers in a hot water bath to pour easier then add water and nutrient. Sprinkle yeast on top and stir in after 12 hours.

Once I racked into the secondary (about 3 weeks). I added 30 limes and 15 jalapenos (cut of course).

That sat for about 3 weeks.
Boy did it have some activity in the secondary! I had to keep tipping to force the CO2 out of the bottle as it was pushing the fruit to the top and into the airlock. Next time I will put back into a plastic bucket fermentor and use a blow off tube.

After the 3 weeks I racked over again and added the super kleer. Let me tell you that super kleer is the bomb! I have never seen a clarifying agent work so fast and so well. Last night I decided to rack into another (5 gallon) carboy to remove the sediment. Let that sit there for a 2 months and bottled last night.

Got 12 1.75 bottles. Well and a half which I am trying. Nice and clear. The lime and Jalapeno have blended real nicely. Just enough heat and it goes away fast. This stuff is great. Cannot wait to see how it is in May or June.

I think this would go great while eating fish tacos or just about any other mexican dish! More to come in May! This is definitely a do again recipe.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:01 PM   #2
fatbloke
 
fatbloke's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2006
UK - South Coast.
Posts: 2,699
Liked 182 Times on 167 Posts


I'm more of a traditional mead maker, but damn, that sounds good.......
__________________
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away". Tom Waits.

Oh, and here's some blog stuff!

Halbrust Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:47 AM   #3
ErinRae
Recipes 
 
Jul 2012
, Ontario
Posts: 163
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts


Did u do seeds and all for the jalapeņos?? Sounds interesting for sure!! I have a jalapeņo wine going right now and the peppers have stained the fermenting equipment smell wise...maybe I should make lime wine or mead in the equipment next!!
__________________
Daydreaming about......raspberry vanilla, wildberry mead
Brewing & Aging: Wildflower mead, Betrayal: A Stark Raving Cherry Mead
Bottled: sweet blueberry melomel, sparkling Cranberry/Blackberry melomel, fb apple cyser, wine, wine and more wine!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:04 AM   #4
trivial
Recipes 
 
Sep 2011
Auburn, Alabama
Posts: 28
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


This is why homebrewing is so great, infinite combinations 8)
__________________
Check out my homebrewing blog at
www.learningtohomebrew.com!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 02:13 PM   #5
kewalters
Recipes 
 
Mar 2012
Posts: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewwby
So, again I started with a simple mead recipe....found anywhere on the net. But it was:
15 lbs honey
2 oz nutrient
water to make 6 gallons
Prim De Mousse (spelling?) yeast

Note I do not boil my must, I just put the honey containers in a hot water bath to pour easier then add water and nutrient. Sprinkle yeast on top and stir in after 12 hours.

Once I racked into the secondary (about 3 weeks). I added 30 limes and 15 jalapenos (cut of course).

That sat for about 3 weeks.
Boy did it have some activity in the secondary! I had to keep tipping to force the CO2 out of the bottle as it was pushing the fruit to the top and into the airlock. Next time I will put back into a plastic bucket fermentor and use a blow off tube.

After the 3 weeks I racked over again and added the super kleer. Let me tell you that super kleer is the bomb! I have never seen a clarifying agent work so fast and so well. Last night I decided to rack into another (5 gallon) carboy to remove the sediment. Let that sit there for a 2 months and bottled last night.

Got 12 1.75 bottles. Well and a half which I am trying. Nice and clear. The lime and Jalapeno have blended real nicely. Just enough heat and it goes away fast. This stuff is great. Cannot wait to see how it is in May or June.

I think this would go great while eating fish tacos or just about any other mexican dish! More to come in May! This is definitely a do again recipe.
sswtwwtwwwttwewwt
se

ow

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:05 PM   #6
dewwby
Recipes 
 
Sep 2012
Posts: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErinRae View Post
Did u do seeds and all for the jalapeņos?? Sounds interesting for sure!! I have a jalapeņo wine going right now and the peppers have stained the fermenting equipment smell wise...maybe I should make lime wine or mead in the equipment next!!
I left the seeds in. The SuperKleer took care of em!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:09 PM   #7
Halbrust
Recipes 
 
Aug 2012
Upland, CA
Posts: 710
Liked 68 Times on 55 Posts


That sounds awesome!
I think I'd have to serve it in a salt rimmed glass though

How's the color? Did it pick up a green hew from the peppers and limes?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
...it's fine if it's fermenting.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:43 PM   #8
cavatica
Recipes 
 
Aug 2012
Austin, Texas
Posts: 2

Oh wow that sounds super fun! Do you have any pics of the final batch?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:02 PM   #9
dewwby
Recipes 
 
Sep 2012
Posts: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halbrust View Post
That sounds awesome!
I think I'd have to serve it in a salt rimmed glass though

How's the color? Did it pick up a green hew from the peppers and limes?
Not really, it looks almost like a chardonnay

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:05 PM   #10
dewwby
Recipes 
 
Sep 2012
Posts: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavatica View Post
Oh wow that sounds super fun! Do you have any pics of the final batch?
here is a glass of the small amount I had that I couldnt bottle.


 
Reply With Quote


Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Jalapeno Mead Success thomasaaron Mead Forum 5 12-04-2012 04:53 PM
key lime mint too much lime mattne421 Mead Forum 2 03-02-2012 02:45 PM
Lime on de Coconut Poobah58 Mead Forum 8 04-27-2010 12:46 PM
Chili and Lime mead pulpfiction32 Mead Forum 5 09-16-2009 09:28 AM
Lime? Dude123 Mead Forum 13 05-17-2009 02:48 AM


Forum Jump