What irritates you about brewing? - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > What irritates you about brewing?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2012, 09:58 AM   #1
jwwbrennan
Recipes 
 
Aug 2012
Stratford, PE
Posts: 139
Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts



Sanitizing everything irritates me. It is not doing it that bothers me it is the lingering doubt regarding correct amount. I never know whether I'm fighting contamination or eternal damnation (cleanliness being close to godliness after all). I scrub, clean, sanitize, put the bottles in the oven for 15 minutes at 350; when is enough, enough? When does good practice become obsessive ritual?

I don't find the correct method can be explained as an absolute in all situations. There are many variables including individual environments. Our water comes from the water table below the house, test results are excellent, so I go with that and use it straight from the tap. I'm thinking it will become like everything else - sourdough for example - concern with minutia will be paved over with experience. I'll simply become one with my beer; which I suppose is the whole point in making it.
__________________
Needless to say, needless to say is needless to say.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:27 AM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Revvy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2007
"Detroitish" Michigan
Posts: 40,921
Liked 3184 Times on 1883 Posts


When you scrub, clean, SANITIZE, and then bake your bottles, and then start a thread about still being worried, is when it crosses the line into obsession.

It's not that hard, and not worth stressing over. It's a hobby, it's supposed to be fun, not something we lose sleep over. We don't repeat the mantra RDWHAHB for nothing.....
__________________
Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:53 AM   #3
jwwbrennan
Recipes 
 
Aug 2012
Stratford, PE
Posts: 139
Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts


I don't worry about it, I worry about worrying about it. Kind of a meta-worry really. If I didn't worry, I wouldn't have anything to worry about.

That's kind of why I posted it in Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumblings.
__________________
Needless to say, needless to say is needless to say.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:53 AM   #4
Homercidal
Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT_MODERATOR.png
 
Homercidal's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2008
Reed City, MI
Posts: 30,652
Liked 4765 Times on 3217 Posts


When it becomes too much for you handle, find a way to make it easier. Generally, if you get a batch of bottles cleaned, then you should only need to rinse out when you pour a beer, and then sanitize it right before you bottle. There is nothing wrong with sterilizing in the oven if you aren't sure you using clean bottles, but it's probably overkill unless you just got some bottles from the recycle.

But you say you clean and scrub, and that's usually all you need to do before using the Starsan, or Iodophor, or whatever your preferred sanitizer is.

I'm going to have to agree with Revvy on this, RDWHAHB!!

Revvy Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:02 PM   #5
mcspanner
Recipes 
 
Sep 2012
Warrington, Cheshire
Posts: 855
Liked 563 Times on 248 Posts


What bugs me is that it requires patience. I want it ready at the end of all the effort, not in 6 weeks time dammit.....

Or maybe what really winds me up about brewing is I have far more ideas for next projects or beers I want to try than I have time to brew or even capacity to drink!
__________________
Scientifically speaking, alcohol IS a solution.....

jwwbrennan Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:06 PM   #6
CraftBreWear
Recipes 
 
Jun 2012
Posts: 27
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by jwwbrennan
Sanitizing everything irritates me. It is not doing it that bothers me it is the lingering doubt regarding correct amount. I never know whether I'm fighting contamination or eternal damnation (cleanliness being close to godliness after all). I scrub, clean, sanitize, put the bottles in the oven for 15 minutes at 350; when is enough, enough? When does good practice become obsessive ritual?

I don't find the correct method can be explained as an absolute in all situations. There are many variables including individual environments. Our water comes from the water table below the house, test results are excellent, so I go with that and use it straight from the tap. I'm thinking it will become like everything else - sourdough for example - concern with minutia will be paved over with experience. I'll simply become one with my beer; which I suppose is the whole point in making it.
Use Star San- Star San is an acidic sanitizer from the makers of PBW and was developed especially for sanitizing brewing equipment. It requires only 30 seconds of contact time and does not require rinsing. Unlike other no-rinse sanitizers, Star San will not contribute off-flavors at higher than recommended concentrations.

I had the same concerns till I found Star San...

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:10 PM   #7
CraftBreWear
Recipes 
 
Jun 2012
Posts: 27
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by mcspanner
What bugs me is that it requires patience. I want it ready at the end of all the effort, not in 6 weeks time dammit.....

Or maybe what really winds me up about brewing is I have far more ideas for next projects or beers I want to try than I have time to brew or even capacity to drink!
If you're looking for a very quick turn around, brew a Wheat. It does not require secondary and you just leave it in fermenting for 2 weeks. Bottling takes another 2 to 3weeks, so move to kegging. If you force carb you can drink it in 24 hours.

I have a Scottish Ale (ABV 16%) that will sit in secondary for 2 years....

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:27 PM   #8
mcspanner
Recipes 
 
Sep 2012
Warrington, Cheshire
Posts: 855
Liked 563 Times on 248 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by CraftBreWear

If you're looking for a very quick turn around, brew a Wheat. It does not require secondary and you just leave it in fermenting for 2 weeks. Bottling takes another 2 to 3weeks, so move to kegging. If you force carb you can drink it in 24 hours.

I have a Scottish Ale (ABV 16%) that will sit in secondary for 2 years....
Yeah, I have a wheat on e list of things to do sooner rather than later, but will probably rack it onto some form of berry and secondary it anyhow as SWMBO likes fruit beers and puts up with all the fermenters in places she would be using for other things. Best to keep them happy!

Two years is a definite example of good forward planning though. Maybe brewing was invented to teach man patience. It's actually a Zen meditation exercise rather than a process for making beer.
__________________
Scientifically speaking, alcohol IS a solution.....

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:49 PM   #9
mbauer013
Recipes 
 
Apr 2009
Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 286
Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts


What annoys me is the Uber-brewer that always seems to come around when we are talking about brewing. You all know someone like this. He knows exactly how every possible brew should be executed and why. If you disagree, well you are either stupid not to take his advice or ungrateful for him bestowing his knowledge upon you. He'll tell you how your beer will suck if you don't use RO water building up every microgram of minerals, using an 8-step decocted/turbid mashed process driven by a 128 bit electro- phased comupterized driver on a touch screen. To me it's much more a hobby and a craft. 100 different ways to do the same thing and get GREAT beer. Sure it'll be different than another guys, but you get your process consistent and tweak for results, you'll have good if not great beer. Guys like that just scare the newbies away from the craft.

jwwbrennan Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:57 PM   #10
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Posts: 69,224
Liked 7719 Times on 5422 Posts


I hate when I run out of beer. That's about all that irritates me.

Oh, that and when grain gets under my false bottom and plugs up the entire system and I get a stuck mash followed by a stuck sparge followed by burning myself on the boil kettle. That irritated me too.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

 
Reply With Quote


Reply
Thread Tools



Forum Jump