Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > I had to cut my boil short ~2 minutes after a DME addition. Will it turn out OK?

Old 10-01-2012, 09:33 AM   #1
quark42
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default I had to cut my boil short ~2 minutes after a DME addition. Will it turn out OK?

First off, I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, so if it isn't, please let me know.

So, I was brewing a pumpkin amber ale last night and brew day went rather hairy. I noticed my mash efficiency was horrible about 40 minutes into the boil, and I threw in about a pound of DME at the 45 minute mark to boost the OG. Despite my best efforts, the wort boiled over.

Now here's where my problem is, the boil over confused the safety cut of on my propane burner, and wouldn't let the burner turn back on. So, after a couple of minutes of failing to persuade my burner to stay on (it would cut out after about 30 seconds), I decided to cut my losses, and end the boil right there, with the DME having only been in the boil for a few minutes.

So, my question is, will a 45 minute boil with an extract addition effectively at flame out fail to make a drinkable beer, or should I RDWHAHB?

Thanks!

Old 10-01-2012, 09:50 AM   #2
Pratzie
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 154 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 112

I think ur good as long as u RDWHAHB X's two... Only question, whats ur OG at now?

Secondary: Empty
Aging:
On Deck: Deception Cream Stout, BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde, Yooper's Oatmeal Stout, Joe's Ancient Orange Mead, Reaper's Mild

Old 10-01-2012, 10:12 AM   #3
quark42
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

My target OG was 1.083
My preboil OG was ~1.050
My OG right now is 1.069

Old 10-01-2012, 12:30 PM   #4
Xpertskir
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 440 Times on 283 Posts
Likes Given: 23

It'll be good. A lot of extract brewers add a late addition some of whom do it at flameout

Also your shorter boil time and lower gravity might actually lead to an accidental hop balance.

Nothing to do now but rdwhahb and tweak your system so none of that happens again.

Old 10-01-2012, 03:33 PM   #5
ktblunden
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 328 Times on 202 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Adding DME essentially at flameout will be perfectly fine, no problems. As Xpertskir said, the lower gravity and short boil may actually cancel each other out and give you a beer more balanced than if you had been able to continue the boil.