Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > White house beer

Old 02-28-2013, 07:04 PM   #811
ericbw
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 206 Times on 160 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Just to add my 2 cents, we have a 2.5 gallon batch of the honey ale in the works. It's been in the fermenter for 2 and a half weeks, and it will sit there for 4 weeks before bottling. Right now, it's still pretty cloudy and brown (actually looks a lot like the fermenter in the video!). Usually week 4 in the fermenter is pretty dramatic as far as color and clarity, so I am assuming it will be fine.

I made a few small changes from the recipe: 1) reversed the Fuggles and EKGs because I like the flavor/aroma of EKG better. 2) used Crystal 40L as the "amber malt." Not sure if that's close enough? 3) used US-05 yeast because that's what was available. 4) didn't add gypsum since I don't know what my water is like anyway.

Temperature has been a little low, too. Probably averaged 65.

I think those are very minor changes, right?

Old 02-28-2013, 09:57 PM   #812
Qhrumphf
Spirit of '69
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2420 Times on 1729 Posts
Likes Given: 1050

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbw View Post
Just to add my 2 cents, we have a 2.5 gallon batch of the honey ale in the works. It's been in the fermenter for 2 and a half weeks, and it will sit there for 4 weeks before bottling. Right now, it's still pretty cloudy and brown (actually looks a lot like the fermenter in the video!). Usually week 4 in the fermenter is pretty dramatic as far as color and clarity, so I am assuming it will be fine.

I made a few small changes from the recipe: 1) reversed the Fuggles and EKGs because I like the flavor/aroma of EKG better. 2) used Crystal 40L as the "amber malt." Not sure if that's close enough? 3) used US-05 yeast because that's what was available. 4) didn't add gypsum since I don't know what my water is like anyway.

Temperature has been a little low, too. Probably averaged 65.

I think those are very minor changes, right?
Outside of the yeast change, yeah, I'd think they're pretty minor. I've looked at it as a distinctly English beer, and US-05 won't give you the right character. Not that it still won't be tasty, but it won't have that English ester character. When my friend and I brewed it, we used a mix of C40L and C60L to try and get close that ~55L English Crystal malt.

Bottled: IIPA, APA, American Amber, Robust Porter, Strong Mild, 80/-, Gose, Lichtenhainer
Casked:
Bottle Cellar: Brett B Tripel, Brett C Barleywine, Lamebic '11, Quad, Tripel, Brett C Bitter, Wild Cider, Sour Stout, Wee Heavy

Old 03-01-2013, 12:29 PM   #813
ericbw
Recipes 

You're probably right, the yeast isn't English style like the rest of the recipe.

I didn't think the recipe was written well, which always encourages me to fell better about making changes.

Old 03-01-2013, 12:43 PM   #814
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1270 Times on 872 Posts
Likes Given: 2461

Am planning on brewing another batch of this tomorrow! http://www.singingboysbrewing.com/Wh...Honey-Ale.html Not planning on making any changes, really enjoyed the last batch.
CGVT Likes This 
Old 03-01-2013, 01:20 PM   #815
alestateyall
Recipes 

Liked 89 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I am planning to brew this for the 2nd this weekend also. Three changes:

1. Moving to caramel 40 from 60.
2. Moving the 45 min. EKG addition to first wort hops.
3. Changed to all grain. Replaced extracts w/ 10# 2-row.

I am brewing this for a Knights of Columbus social. These guys are old so I am hoping for a slightly lighter colored less bitter beer.

The change to all grain is just to save money.

Old 03-02-2013, 07:13 PM   #816
ericbw
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alestateyall
I am planning to brew this for the 2nd this weekend also. Three changes:

1. Moving to caramel 40 from 60.
2. Moving the 45 min. EKG addition to first wort hops.
3. Changed to all grain. Replaced extracts w/ 10# 2-row.

I am brewing this for a Knights of Columbus social. These guys are old so I am hoping for a slightly lighter colored less bitter beer.

The change to all grain is just to save money.
Did you think the C60 was too dark? Flavors you didn't like?

Old 03-03-2013, 01:07 AM   #817
alestateyall
Recipes 

I think the c60 was fine. I am only moving to c40 to lighten for an audience of BMC drinkers. The white house recipe says amber crystal malt. I think c40-c60 meets that definition so I don't think I am really deviating from the recipe.

I can say that my version with c60 looked quite a bit darker than the beer in the White House video.

Old 03-03-2013, 01:37 AM   #818
CGVT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 412 Times on 270 Posts
Likes Given: 321

I made mine with Crisp Amber (28 SRM). It is a straw/honey color, about a 5 SRM, and has a pronounced spicy nose and taste on top of the honey flavor. I added my 1.5 oz of fuggles at 5 mins. I guess that is where the spice is coming from.
"Filled with mingled cream and amber I will drain that glass again. Such hilarious visions clamber through the chambers of my brain--Quaintest thoughts--queerest fancies come to life and fade away; Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today"-Edgar Alan Poe

My Keezer build: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/keez...y-turn-340755/

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyTanium View Post
Do what you like, brew what you like. Don't be a tool.

Old 03-03-2013, 01:42 AM   #819
alestateyall
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGVT
I made mine with Crisp Amber (28 SRM). It is a straw/honey color and has a pronounced spicy nose and taste on top of the honey flavor. I added my 1.5 oz of fuggles at 5 mins. I guess that is where the spice is coming from.
Will the gentleman from Alabama yield for a friendly question?

Is Crisp Amber a crystal malt? I thought Amber malt was closer to biscuit.

PS. I've got homebrew legislation on the brain.

Old 03-03-2013, 02:05 AM   #820
CGVT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 412 Times on 270 Posts
Likes Given: 321

No it is not a crystal malt. You are correct, it is a roasted malt, closer to biscuit.

I get it at the Wine Smith in Mobile (it is also available through Brewmaster's Warehouse)

I would have to think that any homebrewer in either of our states would be thinking legislation...

"Filled with mingled cream and amber I will drain that glass again. Such hilarious visions clamber through the chambers of my brain--Quaintest thoughts--queerest fancies come to life and fade away; Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today"-Edgar Alan Poe

My Keezer build: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/keez...y-turn-340755/

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyTanium View Post
Do what you like, brew what you like. Don't be a tool.