Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > White house beer

Old 12-14-2012, 04:39 PM   #751
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 783 Times on 578 Posts
Likes Given: 315

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrodm View Post
Do you think it would be worth it to brew something complimentary and blend them? I've done that in the past with pretty good results. I've actually got a spiced Christmas Ale right now that I'm not too happy with--it ended up WAY over spiced for some reason, and I'm thinking about doing that. In your case, you could brew a big malty amber ale, or something like that, and blend the two together to make a better beer.

Whisky makers do it all the time, why shouldn't we?
not a bad idea. i'd brew something with an above-average amount of specialty malts, like a third of the total malt bill being a some sort of mix of biscuit, melanoidin, aromatic, C-120, etc. also consider using munich-based extract. the resulting beer should be very malty, rather sweet and of relatively lower alcohol for the amount of grains & extract you've added.

Drinking: Trois IPA (amarillo/galaxy/simcoe), imperial chocolate stout, dubbel
Carb'ing: Tripel'ish, local sour cherry kriek, oud bruin, gueuz'ish thing, saison bottled with ECY34
Aging: TYB saison brett blend, sour cherry mead, rye sour ECY20/ECY34 split, several other sours, acerglyn

Old 12-14-2012, 07:22 PM   #752
Ben_D
Recipes 

Great idea to mix it up with something complimentary however it is all in bottles. I think I will simpley need to finish drinking the rest, or possibley use it to cook with, to help me learn my lesson on reading recipes. this was batch 11 out of 12 for me. I have only had 2 botched batches out of 12 so far so my track record is still good. I did a strong brown ale that had the same 6 pound malt bill that was really great and just slightly different than the white house version. I was just at the start of my grain steeping when I noticed my mistake. Would there have been a better solution than to franticly grab the brown sugar? could i have paused the steeping to go to the store and grab my malt?

Old 12-14-2012, 07:37 PM   #753
Brewskii
Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 67 Posts

Just bottled today. 1.069 OG down to 1.018 FG. Today is day 14. I cold crashed it and gave it 3 days.

Man, Windsor is a weird yeast.....after the crash I had 1/2 of the Carboy crystal clear and the other half looked like Orange juice.

Old 12-18-2012, 12:39 AM   #754
mtnagel
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 204 Times on 164 Posts
Likes Given: 190

Here is a picture of my White House honey ale next to the White House honey porter.

I brewed these from the extract kits from Northern Brewer on 10/31/12. Left in primary for 4 weeks and bottled on 11/28/12. Left to carbonate until I put a few bottles of each in the fridge this weekend.

Overall, they are both okay beers. A honey ale isn't something I would normally drink or brew, but a friend requested some, so I figured why not. It's a bit hoppier than I was expecting, which is a good thing. I can taste the honey, but I probably wouldn't have called it honey if I didn't know it was added (I don't normally drink or eat honey).

As for the honey porter, I wish it was more porter like. It doesn't even look like a porter. Funny story about that from brew day. We brewed 5 gal of the ale and 10 gal of the porter. We got the wort cooled a bit, but wanted to grab some dinner as it was getting late, so we split them up in the buckets before running out to dinner and figured I'd pitch the yeast after coming back from dinner after it cooled all the way down. Well we come back and I had 3 unlabeled buckets I assumed based on the position of the buckets what was what, but they used different yeast, so I wanted to make sure. So I took out a sample of all three. They all looked the same. We tasted them and I was shocked that they weren't that different. But I did pick out the one that I assumed was the ale as the different one, so I pitched the different yeasts based on that.

Old 12-18-2012, 03:59 AM   #755
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 783 Times on 578 Posts
Likes Given: 315

that honey ale looks really dark... weird. should be more of an amber based on other folk's pix.

Drinking: Trois IPA (amarillo/galaxy/simcoe), imperial chocolate stout, dubbel
Carb'ing: Tripel'ish, local sour cherry kriek, oud bruin, gueuz'ish thing, saison bottled with ECY34
Aging: TYB saison brett blend, sour cherry mead, rye sour ECY20/ECY34 split, several other sours, acerglyn

Old 12-18-2012, 04:28 AM   #756
emjay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1715 Times on 1603 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yep. And contrary to his post, that porter certainly does look like a porter to me.

Old 12-18-2012, 04:58 AM   #757
DaBills
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 269

Mtnagel mine was just as dark. I didn't care for it all that much but it was ok. I didn't do a full boil maybe that's why it was so dark?

Old 12-18-2012, 05:05 AM   #758
emjay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1715 Times on 1603 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBills
Mtnagel mine was just as dark. I didn't care for it all that much but it was ok. I didn't do a full boil maybe that's why it was so dark?
Could definitely contribute, especially with extract.

Other possible factors are using older extract (particularly liquid extract, in this case) and adding all the extract early during the boil, rather than waiting to add most or all of the extract near the end of the boil.

Old 12-18-2012, 11:46 AM   #759
jerrodm
Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnagel View Post
Here is a picture of my White House honey ale next to the White House honey porter.

I brewed these from the extract kits from Northern Brewer on 10/31/12. Left in primary for 4 weeks and bottled on 11/28/12. Left to carbonate until I put a few bottles of each in the fridge this weekend.

Overall, they are both okay beers. A honey ale isn't something I would normally drink or brew, but a friend requested some, so I figured why not. It's a bit hoppier than I was expecting, which is a good thing. I can taste the honey, but I probably wouldn't have called it honey if I didn't know it was added (I don't normally drink or eat honey).

As for the honey porter, I wish it was more porter like. It doesn't even look like a porter. Funny story about that from brew day. We brewed 5 gal of the ale and 10 gal of the porter. We got the wort cooled a bit, but wanted to grab some dinner as it was getting late, so we split them up in the buckets before running out to dinner and figured I'd pitch the yeast after coming back from dinner after it cooled all the way down. Well we come back and I had 3 unlabeled buckets I assumed based on the position of the buckets what was what, but they used different yeast, so I wanted to make sure. So I took out a sample of all three. They all looked the same. We tasted them and I was shocked that they weren't that different. But I did pick out the one that I assumed was the ale as the different one, so I pitched the different yeasts based on that.
Are you sure you didn't make the same beer twice? Those look pretty much identical to me. Do they taste the same?
For they garner the succulent berries of the hop and mass and sift and bruise and brew them and they mix therewith sour juices and bring the must to the sacred fire and cease not night or day from their toil, those cunning brothers, lords of the vat. -James Joyce

On deck: Orange Cranberry Wit, Dusseldorf Altbier
Primary: Belgian Partigyle Tripel/Saison, 1/1
Secondary: none
Bottles: Northern Brown Ale, 1/10; English IPA, 12/31; Cider, 12/9; White House Honey Ale AG, 12/9;

Old 12-18-2012, 12:55 PM   #760
mtnagel
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 204 Times on 164 Posts
Likes Given: 190

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcell View Post
that honey ale looks really dark... weird. should be more of an amber based on other folk's pix.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBills View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by emjay View Post
Could definitely contribute, especially with extract.

Other possible factors are using older extract (particularly liquid extract, in this case) and adding all the extract early during the boil, rather than waiting to add most or all of the extract near the end of the boil.
More details:

I followed the NB recipe with:

Full boil (maybe had to add half gallon top up at the end).
Added 2 oz hops instead of 1.5 oz to increase bitterness.
Used yeast starter.