White house beer - Page 30 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > White house beer

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2012, 01:35 PM   #291

Twice, I've hosted parties or gatherings for non -brewers where we brewed a special batch together, around a theme or special occassion. This seems like a good opportunity to put out the invitation again. I think its cool that there is a White House beer and it seems to have drawn the attention of non brewers.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:40 PM   #292

Just had a random thought - in less than a person 's lifetime, we've gone from Prohibition to a White House making handmade beer. That is just remarkable!

2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 05:59 PM   #293
TimpanogosSlim
Recipes 
 
Mar 2012
Orem, UT
Posts: 962
Liked 84 Times on 74 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappers_ View Post
Just had a random thought - in less than a person 's lifetime, we've gone from Prohibition to a White House making handmade beer. That is just remarkable!
Historians claim that a majority of the congressmen who voted for the prohibition amendment were under the impression that it only restricted the sale and manufacture of hard liquors and would leave beer and wine out of it.

It was the Volstead Act which condemned the manufacture and sale of beer and wine. For some reason home winemaking was never criminalized.

I recommend the PBS miniseries on the subject. It turns out that the temperance movement wasn't in favor of prohibition, and both the temperance and prohibition movements were more concerned about all the rape and abuse of married women than about the booze itself. It was a different time. Hardly anybody with a Y chromosome could be convinced that such a thing as rape is possible within the bonds of marriage, for example. In the working class there was a lot of rampant drunkenness and associated mayhem when the drunks finally got home after drinking all night, and there was no law providing consequences for said mayhem.

That, and the majority of beer bars were owned and operated by breweries, with the effect that there were neighborhoods that were nothing but saloons.

In short, prohibition was the wrong solution to a number of very real problems they had at the time.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:19 PM   #294
dnl
Recipes 
 
Sep 2012
Cambridge, MA
Posts: 1

Hello,

I had an idea:
Could the WH work with kit seller to add reusable bottle labels to their WH beer kits that are similar to the official label or add another tangible item such as a glass. The 'deluxe' kit premium could be used to support a nonpartisan charity like childhood hunger, MS or cancer research, or something of the like. If you didn't want the extra or want to make your own version go for it, but I kind of like the idea of making a batch, adding some labels, and supporting a good cause.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:35 PM   #295
djfake
Recipes 
 
Jul 2011
Chicago, IL
Posts: 27
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by TimpanogosSlim View Post
.

In short, prohibition was the wrong solution to a number of very real problems they had at the time.
And today.

amandabab Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:01 PM   #296
alestateyall
 
alestateyall's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2011
Posts: 734
Liked 89 Times on 58 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by dnl
Hello,
I had an idea:
... The 'deluxe' kit premium could be used to support a nonpartisan charity like childhood hunger, MS or cancer research...

Do you mean childhood hunger, MS as in Mississippi, or cancer research?

I vote for Mississippi. We need the money to help fight for home brew legalization.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:07 PM   #297
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Posts: 69,738
Liked 8013 Times on 5600 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappers_ View Post
Twice, I've hosted parties or gatherings for non -brewers where we brewed a special batch together, around a theme or special occassion. This seems like a good opportunity to put out the invitation again.
Let me know what time to be there, and what to bring....................
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

Pappers_ Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:46 AM   #298
McGarnigle
 
McGarnigle's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2008
NYS
Posts: 1,926
Liked 68 Times on 58 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by TimpanogosSlim View Post
Historians claim that a majority of the congressmen who voted for the prohibition amendment were under the impression that it only restricted the sale and manufacture of hard liquors and would leave beer and wine out of it.

It was the Volstead Act which condemned the manufacture and sale of beer and wine. For some reason home winemaking was never criminalized.

I recommend the PBS miniseries on the subject. It turns out that the temperance movement wasn't in favor of prohibition, and both the temperance and prohibition movements were more concerned about all the rape and abuse of married women than about the booze itself. It was a different time. Hardly anybody with a Y chromosome could be convinced that such a thing as rape is possible within the bonds of marriage, for example. In the working class there was a lot of rampant drunkenness and associated mayhem when the drunks finally got home after drinking all night, and there was no law providing consequences for said mayhem.

That, and the majority of beer bars were owned and operated by breweries, with the effect that there were neighborhoods that were nothing but saloons.

In short, prohibition was the wrong solution to a number of very real problems they had at the time.
I'd recommend that anyone read Daniel Okrent's "Last Call" for the full story (the PBS doc was partly based on it). So much of it had to do with how to manage political coalitions. The 'drys' included everything from progressive urban socialist reformers to the KKK (concerned about drunken blacks and immigrants). It was a tightly defined single issue cause that attracted strange bedfellows.

On the other side, the breweries and distilleries were throwing each other under the bus. The breweries were OK with making booze illegal, just not beer.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 05:47 AM   #299
chessking
Recipes 
 
Oct 2011
Aurora, Co
Posts: 403
Liked 119 Times on 82 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by dnl View Post
The 'deluxe' kit premium could be used to support a nonpartisan charity like childhood hunger, MS or cancer research, or something of the like.
And orange slices for all the kiddies.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 04:04 PM   #300
jeffdill
Recipes 
 
Sep 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 138
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Did anyone convert these to a full boil extract recipe? I've never done that, I'm not sure how the hop additions change.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools



Forum Jump