Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Brew Stands > RIMS Scorching... need help finding right element...

Old 10-11-2012, 12:37 AM   #11
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 291 Times on 248 Posts
Likes Given: 77

I read that the watt-density is also quartered when running a 220V element at 120V. I use a 1650W, 120V LWD element in my 1.5" SS RIMs tube and haven't had any scorching issues yet.

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Sour Saison, Pale Ale, Aggie Ale, Firestone DBA, De Koninck Blonde
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck: Pliny the Younger

Old 10-11-2012, 12:46 AM   #12
jcaudill
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgonza9 View Post
Interesting. I tend to think the effect is pretty small, if at all. Plus, if you don't like a feature of your beer, you can tweak the recipe. Beyond certain obvious no no's, I don't think there is a"right" way to do this. After all, a decoction is adding boiling mash to the mash tun. The enzymes the boiling mash touches must get above 176 degrees for a time before stirring. Even the external RIMS tape system has to heat the pipes up higher than your mash temp if you are ramping from 120 degrees.

It's an interesting concept though and may have some merits. Kind of like sous vide cooking, where you attempt to cook food using the temperature you would like to eat it at, and hence cook it for days.

I'm not knocking the science here. But in an operation this complex, I'm not sure that it matters or that I could isolate the variables involved in producing a beer to this one thing. I certainly don't think my beer has suffered (other than the one scorching incident) since I went to an electric system.
It's probably not huge given the surface area of contact. But it is something to consider - some designs maybe have more an issue than others.

You really can't adjust a recipe to fix something like this. Enzymes are active in certain temp ranges regardless of recipe.

As for decoction - that is why nobody does it anymore It was formerly used for temp rises - great. We don't need that anymore though - we have the technology!