Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > $18.99 for a 20 gallon fermenter?

Old 10-03-2012, 12:04 AM   #11
BudzAndSudz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by normzone View Post
Too funny, I just gave away a 35 gallon version of this on Craigslist. Also, down at my community garden there's a trashcan that started out life as a 35 gallon fermenter with the valve as you described. It looks as though it saw a LOT of batches before it got repurposed to an outdoor lifestyle.
That's great! Did you find any issues with keeping it sealed, or is the keg lube trick pretty solid?

Old 10-03-2012, 12:12 AM   #12
CadillacAndy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 44

I used a sanitized garbage bag over the top of my 20 gallon brute can. I was going to go with clamps and caulk, but this worked just as well for just a couple cents.

Old 10-03-2012, 12:25 AM   #13
integra93ls
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts

Very interesting idea. Anyone gonna try it?

Old 10-10-2012, 09:23 PM   #14
Starderup
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Great find!

Quote:
Originally Posted by integra93ls View Post
Very interesting idea. Anyone gonna try it?
I'm in for that price. TOTAL: $37.83 with lid including shipping.
I have been looking for something inexpensive. I need to do 15 gallon batches in order to fill a Hoff Stevens keg. I'm going to do some Real Ales in a firkin. This is the last piece of the puzzle. I had my eye on some 25 gallon one piece drums that had bungs, but they turned out to not be food grade; anyway, this might be as good. It sure is a lot better than trying to combine (3) 5 gallon batches.

Old 10-10-2012, 09:31 PM   #15
BudzAndSudz
Recipes 

That was my thought exactly! I have enough carboys to do the entire batch split into 5 gallons, but I feel that's just nowhere near as desirable. I wouldn't want the pitch rate to be off in one carboy and I sure don't want to do 3 separate starters...

Old 10-11-2012, 07:02 PM   #16
sloose
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

my LHBS sells the 15.5 gallon casks that bulk extracts come in for $10.. for $15 they give you a bung, airlock, and 5 food grade bag inserts. a garbage can isnt a half bad idea though!
Secondary:
On Deck: English bitter, English IPA

Old 10-11-2012, 08:29 PM   #17
normzone
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Default Sealing and keg lube

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudzAndSudz View Post
That's great! Did you find any issues with keeping it sealed, or is the keg lube trick pretty solid?
N/A - this was back in my first brewing incarnation in the late eighties, before people thought that you should seal stuff. I was content just to keep the ants from finding it.

Old 10-11-2012, 10:05 PM   #18
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 291 Times on 248 Posts
Likes Given: 77

I use the Brutes for all my wine fermenting. You can get them as small as 10 gallons. The lids snap on tightly (not air tight). I have the wheel cart that attaches to the bottom so it's easy to move, you could also craft a furniture dolly to do the same thing. Pumping is easiest but there are a lot of bulkhead options out there if you go the valve route. I use 2' of Fermwrap and a heating pad attached to my STC-1000 to control ferm temps.

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Sour Saison, Pale Ale, Aggie Ale, Firestone DBA, De Koninck Blonde
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck: Pliny the Younger

Old 10-11-2012, 11:07 PM   #19
Piratwolf
Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloose
my LHBS sells the 15.5 gallon casks that bulk extracts come in for $10.. for $15 they give you a bung, airlock, and 5 food grade bag inserts. a garbage can isnt a half bad idea though!
I have used that blue food grade cask straight up. Oxy-cleaned the hell out of it, then sanitized it. Got a 41 on my Cat23 Imperial West Coast Red 10g batch. All I did was cover the bungholes with SaranWrap.

jmendez29: Haha! I get it! :ban:
Wait. You're not talking about beer, right?
You're talking about beer. That could have been a whole lot more fun.

Old 10-11-2012, 11:29 PM   #20
BudzAndSudz
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by helibrewer View Post
I use the Brutes for all my wine fermenting. You can get them as small as 10 gallons. The lids snap on tightly (not air tight). I have the wheel cart that attaches to the bottom so it's easy to move, you could also craft a furniture dolly to do the same thing. Pumping is easiest but there are a lot of bulkhead options out there if you go the valve route. I use 2' of Fermwrap and a heating pad attached to my STC-1000 to control ferm temps.
If the lids snap on tight but not air-tight, what do you do?