TxBrew, the allergy is to yeast, mold, and fungus. I never had symptoms until Hurricane Ike filled our house with mold. *Killed* our old Irish terrier. Usually it's a matter of being allergic to mold first and the allergy can generalize to other similar stuff (like yeast). I can manage the yeast allergy by partaking of it very rarely (the occasional...like once a month...gyro, for instance) but the rest of the time have to have none at all. And you'd be amazed just how many foods that have nothing to do with bread and bagels nevertheless have yeast or extracts of yeast.
So I was curious if anyone has family members who live with frequent infusions of yeast in the environment. So far I'm doing fine. I racked my first gallon today and I think it was having my nose over a gallon of hootch that gave me a temporary sore throat. But no breathing problems so I'm good.
Still, my inhaler and my epi-pen are nearby all the time. :-(
Considering: Sparkling raspberry wine, carrot wine
In Primary: Ed's Apfelwein; Raspberry Puree Apple Cider
In Secondary: Pumpkin Pie Mead; Traditional Mead; Dried Elderberry Wine; Blueberry Wine; Texas Persimmon wine; White grape/peach wine; Texas Twang; Hi, Biscus! Metheglyn; A Maize-ing Wine
So far, so good.