Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Forgot a lb of grain

Old 09-30-2012, 11:44 PM   #1
glomer1163
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Forgot a lb of grain

I am making the White House Honey Ale. When I was done and had pitched the yeast I noticed I forgot to steep the one pound of amber malt with the biscuit malt. I did a mini mash of the grain with a half a gallon of water followed by a quick sparse. I'm going to add wort to the beer. Mind you the beer is only an hour or two old at this point. Ay thoughts on how forgetting a Pound of grain in a partial grain recipe will effect the final product?

Craig

Old 10-01-2012, 12:14 AM   #2
Rbeckett
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Sounds like you got it corrected pretty quick. Did't you check your OG and see immediately that there had to be a problem somewhere? I would think you missed the OG by a fairly large number, and I would have been like WTF? , till I found the unused pound of grain. Looks like it will be OK now though
Wheelchair Bob

Johnnyhitch1 Likes This 
Old 10-01-2012, 01:30 AM   #3
glomer1163
Recipes 

I figured it out with minutes of pitching the yeast. It was during my clean up phase. Thanks for the quick feedback.

Old 10-01-2012, 06:24 AM   #4
emetcalf
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

As long as you boiled the extra wort I don't think adding it will cause any problems.

Old 10-02-2012, 12:18 AM   #5
glomer1163
Recipes 

Yeah... In efforts to complete the beer I did not bring the second wort to a boil. It is bubbling away today.

Old 10-02-2012, 01:29 AM   #6
pelipen
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 43 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by glomer1163
Yeah... In efforts to complete the beer I did not bring the second wort to a boil. It is bubbling away today.
You just added a half gallon of not boiled wort? My gut says you just inoculated with a bunch of critters that make things sour. Ever smell day old mash grains? I'll be curious to know if the yeast or alcohol content knocks them out.

Old 10-06-2012, 04:19 PM   #7
glomer1163
Recipes 

Well, I just dumped this batch. Opened it up and saw a thin yellow film on top and a hint of a smell not quite normal.