Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > secondary fermentation
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2012, 10:35 PM   #1
foggy486
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2
Default secondary fermentation

Hi, I've just started brewing, im trying to brew lager can any one tell me if I need to add anything to the secondary fermentation process?

Thanks
Foggy486


foggy486 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 11:24 PM   #2
ollybollox
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggy486
Hi, I've just started brewing, im trying to brew lager can any one tell me if I need to add anything to the secondary fermentation process?

Thanks
Foggy486
Hi I'm new too

As far as I'm aware. You add sugar to the secondary fermentation to carbonate the beer. That's what I do but I've only bottled so far.


ollybollox is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 11:26 PM   #3
evrose
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Carlsbad, CA
Posts: 841
Liked 301 Times on 159 Posts
Likes Given: 234

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollybollox View Post
Hi I'm new too

As far as I'm aware. You add sugar to the secondary fermentation to carbonate the beer. That's what I do but I've only bottled so far.
Nope. You add the sugar to the bottling bucket just before bottling. Most people here will advise against the use of a secondary, unless you are adding something like fruit (for example). Most beers don't need a secondary.
evrose is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 11:26 PM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: UP of Michigan
Posts: 65,464
Liked 6058 Times on 4317 Posts
Likes Given: 1558

Default

No, you don't add anything to the carboy for lagering. The only time you add anything (sugar) is when you bottle the beer.

Sometimes, people add oak or other things but for most beers you do not.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
Yooper is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 11:31 PM   #5
ollybollox
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper
No, you don't add anything to the carboy for lagering. The only time you add anything (sugar) is when you bottle the beer.

Sometimes, people add oak or other things but for most beers you do not.
Cheers guys

I thought secondary was when it went into bottles. That's where I went wrong. Sorry for the bad info.
ollybollox is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:06 AM   #6
foggy486
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2
Default

Ok, my lager had been fermenting for 5 days now, if I want it to clear do I filters it before it goes in the barrel and then add some carbonate capsules or does any 1 do different?

Cheers
Foggy


foggy486 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools



Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS