Pumpkin spice addition - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Pumpkin spice addition

Old 09-30-2012, 08:18 PM   #1
Mobeers
Recipes 

May 2011
Riverside, Ca
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Plan on brewing morebeers pumpkin beer later today and the recipe says to add the pumpkin spices in the last few minutes. What would this be, last 2 10 or what? Would adding spices in the beginning and at different points throughout be of benifit? The recipe also calls for 2 tablespoons, would more provide a better taste profile? Thanks!!

Old 09-30-2012, 09:36 PM   #2
Mobeers
Recipes 

May 2011
Riverside, Ca
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Anyone out there?

Old 09-30-2012, 10:11 PM   #3
JDFlow
Recipes 

Apr 2012
Seattle, WA
Liked 35 Times on 26 Posts

Add them in the last 5 minutes. Adding them early in the boil you'll just boil off all the desired aromas. The flavor might stick around but you're looking for a balance of flavor and aroma.

Old 09-30-2012, 10:37 PM   #4
Mobeers
Recipes 

May 2011
Riverside, Ca
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Thanks, I'll do that.

Old 09-30-2012, 10:41 PM   #5
tnbrewer371
Recipes 

Mar 2010
Nashville, Tennessee, Tennessee
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

be careful how much you add and look at some recipes to get a feel for how much spice is appropriate, more is not always better
Primary4: Dirty Southern Blonde

Corny1: Southern Blonde
Corny2: sierra madre pale ale (nb)

Bottled: A bunch of stuff

Old 10-01-2012, 04:09 AM   #6
SavoryChef

Recipes 

Feb 2012
Sparks, NV
Liked 148 Times on 98 Posts

I added 1 tbsp at 5 minutes, and when I racked I added 1/2 tbsp soaked in vodka because the flavor wasn't were I wanted it.

Untappd: Savorychef

Old 10-01-2012, 04:33 AM   #7
kylevester
Recipes 

Apr 2012
Lafayette, IN
Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts

Good chance you'll lose a lot of aroma and flavor of these during primary. So, be prepared at bottling or kegging to add a little more to taste.

I used a spice mix of equal parts cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, clove, and allspice. This is what I added at bottling to taste. I believe I did 1 tbsp in vodka.

For the mixture at boil, I followed the pumpkin pie spice recipes I found online at foodtv with those same spices but in different quantities.

I was talking to my local brewer about their pumpkin ale that's coming out next week a couple days ago. They used crystallized ginger and whole spices. I'll probably try that next time, except for nutmeg. Those are expensive and a little goes a long way.

Old 10-01-2012, 02:12 PM   #8
billf2112
Recipes 

Oct 2010
Stowe, Pa, Pennsylvannia
Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts

I added mine early in the boil and my taste before racking to the primary dId not show a lot of the spice in the flavor, I may have to add some at bottling

On Deck: Irish Stout,
Primary: Pumpkin Ale
Secondary: Empty
Completed: Red, Wit and Blue, Irish Stout, Red Ale, German Style Amber Lager, All Grain Brews: Irish Red Ale, American Stout, Honey Weizen

Old 10-02-2012, 06:48 PM   #9
Mobeers
Recipes 

May 2011
Riverside, Ca
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

So I added the spices with five minutes left in the boil. Then I had a boil over as soon as I added it so I added another 1/4 tablespoon to try and hopefully get back to the original two tablespoons. After measuring my final gravity I snuck a quick taste and boy was it good! What are the chances the flavor will diminish as it ferments? And if so should I add another tablespoon when bottleing or kegging?

Old 10-02-2012, 07:14 PM   #10
VagabondBrew
Recipes 

Nov 2011
Albany, Oregon
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Taste before transferring from the fermentor, if you want more spice then add probably a 3rd of what you already added. If your bottling at that point you could wait a day before bottling or if kegging just transfer it all.