Literary References to Homebrewing - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Literary References to Homebrewing

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2012, 03:47 AM   #1
Phunhog
Recipes 
 
Sep 2008
Posts: 2,060
Liked 177 Times on 134 Posts



So while on a Sierra backpacking trip I brought along a copy of Edward Abbey's "Desert Solitaire". In one of the chapters he makes mention of the "crock of homebrew" sitting in the corner of his ranger's quarters. Thought it was kind of cool...especially since he was describing a time in the late 50's/early 60's. Has anybody else ever come across any mention of homebrewing in the literary world?
__________________
Check out my nanobrewery!
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Two...02323289804018

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:22 AM   #2
libeerty
 
libeerty's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2012
Posts: 494
Liked 102 Times on 68 Posts


Not in a book but Hank on Breaking Bad brews.
__________________
Tried to keep up with this signature, but just couldn't.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 03:29 PM   #3
Pecafaced
Recipes 
 
Jan 2010
Salisbury, MD
Posts: 49
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by libeerty
Not in a book but Hank on Breaking Bad brews.
Also not in a book but there is a minor character on How I Met You Mother in the later seasons who homebrews. Also the main character in the show Ted, his father is a homebrewer.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:31 PM   #4
gcdowd
 
gcdowd's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2011
Baldwinsville, NY
Posts: 1,877
Liked 201 Times on 151 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecafaced

Also not in a book but there is a minor character on How I Met You Mother in the later seasons who homebrews. Also the main character in the show Ted, his father is a homebrewer.
Really? How could I have not noticed this. I watch that show religiously.
__________________
God invented whiskey to keep the Irish from ruling the world.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 05:44 PM   #5
Wynne-R
Recipes 
 
Aug 2009
Texas
Posts: 976
Liked 124 Times on 79 Posts


Do you remember the name of the beer in ‘How I Met Your Mother’ ? Future Ted said it was in every bar in America. It was named after the character Randy Wharmpess.

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__.../Wharmpess.png

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:05 PM   #6
SharonaZamboni
Senior Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
SharonaZamboni's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Mar 2012
Palmer, MA
Posts: 9,809
Liked 2088 Times on 1810 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by gcdowd View Post
Really? How could I have not noticed this. I watch that show religiously.
I only remember Marshall tailgating at his father's grave. And Lily's dad.
__________________
You may well be the smartest person here.-Zuljin

Oh, so you're just gonna sit there drinkin beer from your keg, sh!ttin in the kitchen sink, and watching him work -Xaphoeous

I McDrunko and this beer is Amazing!- McBrewskie

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 11:37 PM   #7
supermoth
Recipes 
 
Nov 2008
Oakland, CA
Posts: 246
Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by gcdowd View Post
Really? How could I have not noticed this. I watch that show religiously.

If I remember, it was only in one episode, shortly after the shootout with Tuco. He was on edge and was suffering from PTSD. In the opening scenes, he was bottling with a bench capper and sliced his hand. Then later, he freaks out when he hears what he thinks is gunfire in the middle of the night, and it turns out it is bottle bombs exploding in his garage.

To keep on OP's subject, Desert Solitaire is one of my all time favorites. I haven't read it in a while, but this makes me want to revisit it.

oops, you were talking about a different show. I watch Breaking Bad religiously. And apparently I don't read threads too closely.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:09 PM   #8
libeerty
 
libeerty's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2012
Posts: 494
Liked 102 Times on 68 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by supermoth View Post
If I remember, it was only in one episode, shortly after the shootout with Tuco. He was on edge and was suffering from PTSD. In the opening scenes, he was bottling with a bench capper and sliced his hand. Then later, he freaks out when he hears what he thinks is gunfire in the middle of the night, and it turns out it is bottle bombs exploding in his garage.

To keep on OP's subject, Desert Solitaire is one of my all time favorites. I haven't read it in a while, but this makes me want to revisit it.

oops, you were talking about a different show. I watch Breaking Bad religiously. And apparently I don't read threads too closely.
And in last season's finale, he said it might be time to do another batch of his brew. One of the writers must be a homebrewer.
__________________
Tried to keep up with this signature, but just couldn't.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:06 PM   #9
Mongrel
Recipes 
 
Oct 2010
Sisters, Oregon
Posts: 1,749
Liked 242 Times on 151 Posts


No mention of the Futurama episode where they fermented a beer inside of Bender? Speaking of which, I still want the Bender Brewer.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:10 PM   #10
Phunhog
Recipes 
 
Sep 2008
Posts: 2,060
Liked 177 Times on 134 Posts


Hey guys...OP here I don't watch much tv..thus the thread title LITERARY REFERENCES. Doesn't anyone read books anymore? C'mon homebrewing has to be mentioned in some other books, besides homebrewing books of course.
__________________
Check out my nanobrewery!
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Two...02323289804018

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What got you into homebrewing? CBelli General Beer Discussion 45 09-10-2012 09:32 PM
Why or how did you get into homebrewing? Chaddyb General Beer Discussion 69 03-07-2012 05:21 PM
My best day of Homebrewing Waynep005 General Beer Discussion 3 01-23-2012 12:08 AM
What got you into homebrewing? bsay General Beer Discussion 130 11-17-2008 10:27 PM
What you Homebrewing? 3/2-3/4 Hardball General Beer Discussion 48 03-05-2007 06:56 PM


Forum Jump