secondary fermentation - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > secondary fermentation

Old 09-29-2012, 09:00 AM   #1
nolabrew85

Recipes 

Sep 2012
New Orleans, Louisiana
Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

So this is my 3d brew. Still on ale. Still w basic equipment. Working on a brown ale. Should i second ferment ? All i have for that is a bottling plastic bucket. I am concerned about air getting in at the spigot do i need to get a carboy? Do I need to 2ndary at all w basic sled? Go saints!

Old 09-29-2012, 10:02 AM   #2
theveganbrewer
Recipes 

Sep 2011
Beaverton, OR
Liked 295 Times on 209 Posts

I'd say no. No reason to risk it. I would only secondary on something I planned on aging more than 2 months. I think a lot of people feel they should secondary because they think its automatically better when in most scenarios it can be worse.

Old 09-29-2012, 10:06 AM   #3
brewkinger
AdirondacKinger
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sep 2012
NEK, Vermont
Liked 345 Times on 282 Posts

I asked this very same question last week, and a very long and HEAVILY debated response thread, which I tried to link to below (I am new at this, so I hope it worked)

Long story short, it is brewer's choice.

Read my thread, or any of the MANY threads that deal with this topic.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/what...d-i-do-356924/

PRIMARY: Northeast Style IPA aka "Roscoe"
PRIMARY: Centennial '75 Session IPA
BOTTLED: Razapple Wine- Vintage 2014
BOTTLED: Orange Haze Blonde
BOTTLED:
KEGGED:
PLANNING: Centennial Orange Blonde
PLANNING: Roscoe V.2
Do not mistake my kindness for weakness. I am kind to everyone, but when someone is unkind to me, weak is not what you will remember about me.

Reason: wrong link

Old 09-29-2012, 10:07 AM   #4
Captain Damage

Recipes 

Apr 2008
Lowell, Massachusetts
Liked 83 Times on 71 Posts

There are a gazillion threads on this... But I'm in the don't-secondary-unless-you-absolutely-need-to camp. I.e., if you're racking on to fruit or something like that. I don't even secondary for dry hopping. Secondary-ing will not magically make your final beer more clear - gravity takes care of that, and it has exactly the same strength in secondary as it does in primary. The turbulence of racking to secondary may cause some particulates to clump and fall out of your beer a little earlier than they would if you left it in primary, but they will all fall out after a week or two cold conditioning anyway. No need to risk the oxygen!

FERMENTING

BOTTLED
pujwI HIq Mild Ale
KPA Khitomer Pale Ale

Old 09-29-2012, 05:20 PM   #5
nolabrew85

Recipes 

Sep 2012
New Orleans, Louisiana
Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Thanks for all the help! Got the answer I was hoping for. Next time I will be less lazy and look through threads before asking a question.