Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > What's the worst craft brew (commercial) you've had?
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2013, 04:46 AM   #1171
RachmaelBenApplebaum
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Flagstaff, AZ
Posts: 394
Liked 52 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Default

Sam Adams "summer ale" I think? Seems like they were shooting for a shandy and got more of a "Mike's hard lemonade- boons farm" flavor without the added ethanol. Took one sip and then abandoned it at a party near where someone else had one, maybe they drank it, I dunno.


RachmaelBenApplebaum is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 05:13 AM   #1172
Pilotpip
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 74
Default

Usually a fan of New Belgium but I can't stand Shift. I dumped 2 of the 4 cans I had. I've never brewed a lager but this stuff had a horrible sulfur smell and aftertaste. This time of year I drink a lot of lagers and wheats. BMC is usually in the cooler when I go fishing and I was hoping to make a change.

I've yet to try anything from Shipyard that I've enjoyed and I don't get the hype behind Bell's and DFH. Maybe 10 years ago they had something but today there are way too many good craft breweries out there to justify their price for an average beer.

This is a great example of how different people have different tastes. I've seen people mention New Belgium Rampant, Lagunitas WTF and a couple others that I really enjoy drinking. I'm sure people will say the same about my opinions.


__________________
Warm beer is infinitely colder than no beer at all.
Pilotpip is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 05:53 AM   #1173
NormPeterson
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: , Georgia
Posts: 193
Liked 32 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilotpip View Post
Usually a fan of New Belgium but I can't stand Shift. I dumped 2 of the 4 cans I had. I've never brewed a lager but this stuff had a horrible sulfur smell and aftertaste. This time of year I drink a lot of lagers and wheats. BMC is usually in the cooler when I go fishing and I was hoping to make a change.

I've yet to try anything from Shipyard that I've enjoyed and I don't get the hype behind Bell's and DFH. Maybe 10 years ago they had something but today there are way too many good craft breweries out there to justify their price for an average beer.

This is a great example of how different people have different tastes. I've seen people mention New Belgium Rampant, Lagunitas WTF and a couple others that I really enjoy drinking. I'm sure people will say the same about my opinions.
Not arguing tastes but Bell's has some good brews along with some mediocre and even some below par, but I feel that's true of most breweries. In fact there is not one brewery I can even say puts out more than 70% good beer (IMO).


Note: In no way am I attacking your opinion, I only think its hard to rate a brewery rather than rate each individual beer by a brewery.
__________________
"What's new, Normie?"
"Terrorists, Sam. They've taken over my stomach and they're demanding beer."
NormPeterson is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:10 AM   #1174
NormPeterson
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: , Georgia
Posts: 193
Liked 32 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Back on topic, Victory's Summer Love Ale was horrible to me. It was immediately traded to a friend for some Oberon. The other I was sadly disappointed with was SN Summerfest...however I do plan to try it again because it was after an imperial stout which needless to say can leave you needing stronger flavors than a light pilsner.
__________________
"What's new, Normie?"
"Terrorists, Sam. They've taken over my stomach and they're demanding beer."
NormPeterson is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 09:37 AM   #1175
bobmcstuff
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: , UK
Posts: 589
Liked 278 Times on 185 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBrewskie View Post
Hasn't changed much. Had a Stella the other day.
Stella as in Stella Artois? Or some other Stella I don't know about?

Stella Artois is hardly "craft".

Edit: it's made by AB Inbev
bobmcstuff is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 01:53 PM   #1176
bleme
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Visalia, CA
Posts: 2,043
Liked 297 Times on 218 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmcstuff

Stella Artois is hardly "craft".

Edit: it's made by AB Inbev
Goose Island is also owned by AB InBev but most people would classify it as "craft".

You are free to believe whatever you want.
That doesn't mean everybody else has to.
I've never tried Stella so I have no personal opinion on whether it is craft or not, but if someone else considers it craft, I won't begrudge them their opinion.
bleme is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 02:01 PM   #1177
paliessmann
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Farmington, NM
Posts: 70
Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTate37
Had New Belgium's Rampant tonight. I don't know if my palate has been ruined by the hop bombs that I typically enjoy, but I was pretty underwhelmed. Not the worst I've had, but I wouldn't buy it again.

On the other hand, Lagunitas Dogtown Pale Ale...holy cow! A damn good pale ale. Why have I not had this before?
+1 on the rampant
paliessmann is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 02:40 PM   #1178
bobmcstuff
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: , UK
Posts: 589
Liked 278 Times on 185 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleme View Post
Goose Island is also owned by AB InBev but most people would classify it as "craft".

You are free to believe whatever you want.
That doesn't mean everybody else has to.
I've never tried Stella so I have no personal opinion on whether it is craft or not, but if someone else considers it craft, I won't begrudge them their opinion.
Oh I agree with you generally, I'm sure there's plenty of beers like that. But the idea that Stella is some sort of craft beer is laughable - it's one of the biggest selling beers in the UK so it's not really much different from suggesting any BMC product is a craft beer. Which I'm sure would go down badly in these parts

It's also nicknamed "wifebeater" which is deeply un-classy.
bobmcstuff is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 02:51 PM   #1179
CliffMongoloid
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Honesdale, pa
Posts: 2,890
Liked 529 Times on 390 Posts
Likes Given: 155

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleme View Post

Goose Island is also owned by AB InBev but most people would classify it as "craft".

You are free to believe whatever you want.
That doesn't mean everybody else has to.
I've never tried Stella so I have no personal opinion on whether it is craft or not, but if someone else considers it craft, I won't begrudge them their opinion.
I work in collections... Just had to call a certain brewery cause they didn't Pay their bill..... Awesome
CliffMongoloid is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 03:24 PM   #1180
andysim
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
andysim's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Clayton, NC
Posts: 650
Liked 29 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTate37 View Post
Had New Belgium's Rampant tonight. I don't know if my palate has been ruined by the hop bombs that I typically enjoy, but I was pretty underwhelmed. Not the worst I've had, but I wouldn't buy it again.

On the other hand, Lagunitas Dogtown Pale Ale...holy cow! A damn good pale ale. Why have I not had this before?
I disagree with you on Dogtown. Had some Tuesday night at a Durham Bull's game. I gave it a two out of five on UNTAPPD.


__________________
Trip Queens Brewery
Clayton, NC
Brewing better than average beer since February 2009


Primary - Air
Secondary - Blood Orange Hefe
Oak Rum Barrel - Sour Saison #2
Bottles: Sour #1
Kegged - Gumball Head Clone, Joco Choco Ringer Brown Ale, 1/4 Nut Notty Brown Ale 1 empty :(
andysim is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Worst Commercial Beer You've Ever Had? MeatyPortion General Beer Discussion 2121 05-18-2015 05:11 PM
How do craft/commercial brewers get their beers in stores so fast. scoundrel General Beer Discussion 37 12-29-2014 11:44 PM
My worst brew day so far. B33R General Beer Discussion 19 01-10-2014 10:29 PM
Commercial Craft beer:A pint is not a pint... OldWorld General Beer Discussion 6 05-28-2012 01:46 AM
Best / worst commercial beer labels and brewery logos Scooby_Brew General Beer Discussion 26 02-17-2012 08:44 PM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS