What's the worst craft brew (commercial) you've had?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kylevester

Reaction score
Let's face it, not all craft brews are winners. We've all made at least one undrinkable homebrew and we've all had at least one craft brew that was so turrble we misspell terrible.

So, for me, I tried Rogue's Voodoo Doughnut Bacon Maple Ale tonight and it is an absolutely atrocious beer. I love bacon. I love maple syrup. But together in this beer...oh dear lord. It doesn’t help that the flavor sticks to your palate, not that smokey bacon isn’t delicious, but in this context? I’m usually forgiving in my reviews, but this, this is just, guh. I’d rather drink the 22 of Brian Baroo I got one time that tasted like armpits than this.

Up until tonight, that Brian Baroo (3 Floyds) I had was far and away the worst craft brew I'd had. It seriously smelled and tasted of sweaty armpits and I'd gladly drink that before Voodoo Doughnut. I honestly can't think of anything else that I found offensive like those two, and VD really out did itself.

So, what say you?

There is this place called Dempseys in South Dakota and they make the most disgusting beer I have tasted. Everything is old/stale and has bad off flavors of butter.

Southern Tier - Imperial Creme Brule - too sweet for me when i was drinking it. Andygator (on tap) haven't had it in a bottle but every time i had it on tap (in same joint), it was bad. BYO just ran a piece on it, singing it's praise so I am willing to give the bottle a shot in case the place i drank it at wasn't taking care of their lines or their kegs.

TKOriginal said:
Southern Tier - Imperial Creme Brule - too sweet for me when i was drinking it. Andygator (on tap) haven't had it in a bottle but every time i had it on tap (in same joint), it was bad. BYO just ran a piece on it, singing it's praise so I am willing to give the bottle a shot in case the place i drank it at wasn't taking care of their lines or their kegs.

Try having the creme brule beer with brownies after dinner. Have if as a dessert beer and that might change your mind. I hated it too the first go at it. But with some fresh baked brownies after a nice steak diner, and I was in heaven!

I liked that one, I didn't like the Pumking beer, that tasted overly sweet and I couldn't drink it. I ended up at my parents that night for coffee and cake and my mom and wife liked it though so not a total waste.

For worst craft beer? I still harbor a deep hatred toward Anderson Valley Solstice. Everything about the beer I should have liked, and I was on the beach to boot. I just could not drink it.

mad-anthony-ol-woody-pale-ale.jpg

I really enjoy a number of pale ales but not this one.

Hands down, Legacy Midnight Wit. One of only two beers I've ever poured out (the other being DFH120, I really love IPAs, and I love most of the other DFH stuff. Don't see the fascination with this crap). Thought it was me....so I shared the rest with five friends. All dumped. It wasn't infected or anything. Just horrible.

One of the first Longshot beers from Sam Adams that I remember was a Hazelnut Brown. Real bad. I still can't stand hazelnut.

I agree with Southern Tier creme Brule and I will add Choklat. Horrid beers. Way too sweet. Choklat tasted like straight Hershey's chocolate syrup. I like chocolate beers but balance is important.

I find that many craft beers, and beers I get at micro breweries are not worth having again. There are plenty of mediocre beers.
Personally, I don't like Dogfish Head 60 minute IPA, or Sierra Nevada Pale ale, and those are among my favorite styles.
I do like Stone, and Lauganitas.

@Bad67z: really, you don't like the Mad Anthony? I live in Fort Wayne (where the brewery is located) and I thought it was good. Very hoppy, but good.

ArcLight said:
I find that many craft beers, and beers I get at micro breweries are not worth having again. There are plenty of mediocre beers.
Personally, I don't like Dogfish Head 60 minute IPA, or Sierra Nevada Pale ale, and those are among my favorite styles.
I do like Stone, and Lauganitas.

You don't like SN Pale Ale?? C'mon, try it again!! :)

I think Sam's Old Fezziwig is atrocious. Mayflower's Pumpkin also bad.

In recent memory, I really disliked lagunitas wtf. Worst one of all time though was a McNeill's oatmeal stout. All I could taste was salt..Instant pour out.

Schlafly Pilsner - On tap in Kansas City. If a benzene and diacetyl cocktail somehow got poured into my glass, I wouldn't have been surprised. Maybe they pitched some stressed yeast into a nearby fracking resevoir....

Absolutely gross...........

wildblue_wallpaper_lge.jpg

Ingredients, as far as the brewer will tell you, are 2row, 6row, American and German hops, cereals, and blueberries... sounds good, doesn't taste good.

Rogue Maple Bacon ale. sounds good but it left a bad taste and feeling in your mouth and stomach. l love bacon but its not something you put in a beer.

Sacristan Amber Ale, a new beer/brewery in the Valencian Community in Spain, beatiful bottle crappy content. Bad thing is a meet the brewer and he ask me for an honest opinion.... I couldn´t break his heart... I toke the compromise to send him an e-mail with my tasting notes and I´m trying to be polite and give a constructive review but it´s just a horrible beer
sacris.jpg

Without question, it was Avery Rumpkin. It tasted like unfermented wort. Six people couldn't finish a 12oz bottle.

Sam Adams when they feature homebrew samplers; I can't stomach them - way too much alcohol, and not enough flavors to mask that overpowering pungent taste of alcohol

A few years back, in their summer variety 12 pack, Sam Adams had a cranberry (maybe raspberry, don't remember for certain) lambic. Most god awful beer I've ever tasted. Also the first "lambic" I'd ever tasted - had me convinced for a couple years that lambics were just bad, until I had a lindeman's and realized Sam Adams just had no idea what the style was all about.

Worst craft beer I've ever had has to be Sam Adams Triple Bock.
Second place probably goes to Midas Touch.

Absolutely gross...........

wildblue_wallpaper_lge.jpg

Ingredients, as far as the brewer will tell you, are 2row, 6row, American and German hops, cereals, and blueberries... sounds good, doesn't taste good.

Seconded. Picked up a six pack of this the other day. Tastes like fizzy raspberry cordial. Ugh.

Anything DFH makes that isn't an IPA is terrible to me. I went to the brewpub and tried 90% of their beers and almost all were syrup. They didn't ferment or they were trying to do way to much with the beer

Seconded. Picked up a six pack of this the other day. Tastes like fizzy raspberry cordial. Ugh.

I'm pretty sure that's an AB product whose main purpose is to get college aged girls super drunk. Definitely not craft beer.

Some kind of bacon smoked porter I tried last year at a beer festival in Quebec. To say it was godawful is an understatement. It tasted like sucking on a band-aid that had been roasted over a fire.

I also had a dead guy ale that must've been mishandled. It tasted like a whole team of sweaty football players had taken a foot bath in it.

I've only had 4 drain pours, so they all get my label as 'worst commercial beer'.

Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy- tasted like Pledge furniture polish
Rivertown Pestilence- smelled like puke... tasted like puke
Rivertown War- way over smoked. Tasted like chewing on a cigar
Sam Adams Triple Bock- tasted like soy sauce

Grand canyon brewing co. in williams arizona is absolutely horrible. I tried all their beers. They seem to have the same bad after taste.

Big River Pilsner (chattanooga, tn) tastes like skunky PBR. Bought a 6 pack months ago, and 3 are still in the back of the fridge.

Bluegrass brewing company makes some delicious brown ale, but their version of a Hefeweizen is disgusting. I drank 2 bottles to see I'd I can get into it, but couldn't, so I kept them in the fridge for unsuspecting friends, and girlfriend, do drink the rest for me :)

Weinhards amber-dump,Southern Tier Phil and Matts-somewhat dumpable.On to something better..

Is Leinenkugal considered craft?

I pretty much don't care for anything they make, but that nasty-assed Fruity Pebbles tasting Sunset Wheat is the worst beer in the history of beer.

I've had great beers at all the Raleigh area breweries so I didn't think twice about buying tickets to a wing festival at Roth Brewing a few weeks ago. The wings were okay but the beers, and I tried 3, were awful.

Their cinnamon porter had overwhelming hot fusels that gave the beer a cinnamon rubbing alcohol taste. The Raleigh Red, an amber, was bland and watery with zero hop flavor and aroma. The honey hefeweizen was drinkable but crystal clear with no hefeweizen characteristics.

I felt bad for all the hipsters drinking these beers and trying to act like the beers were great.

Haven't had a lot of drain beers but the one that comes to mind is Lagunitas Lucky 13. It was just... terrible. I can only presume it's a style thing as I know at least 1 other person who really enjoyed it but... ugh. hated it.

Back