fruit flies around air lock!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cut a water bottle in half, add some white vinegar with a little bit of soap. Flip the top of the bottle, upside down, so its pointing down. Then tape it shut, the flies will go in and get trapped and suffocate. it works for me.

Put a small jar with cider vinegar and a few drops of dishwashing fluid in it nearby. You can use red-wine vinegar also, just doesn't seem to work as fast. The little bastards will jump in for a drink and stay for the drowning.

I hate those lil bastards!!!!!!! I catch in hand and squeeze!!!! Theres a fruit farm not far from here and holy moly they are everywhere! Only thing i found to kill em is raid flying insect spray. Just dont get in your wine or beer. Lure them with a open crappy beer they love crappy beer then when they hump the can up spray em!!!!!

I've had a few get into the airlock and die. No worries though, did not infect the beer....yet...

Put a small jar with cider vinegar and a few drops of dishwashing fluid in it nearby. You can use red-wine vinegar also, just doesn't seem to work as fast. The little bastards will jump in for a drink and stay for the drowning.

This, any type of vinegar will work, apple cider, regular, red wine...just put a drop or two of dish soap (not dish washer soap although that may work too) into it and stir it up a bit...within 24 hours most if not all of them will be drowned in the vinegar.

They are attracted to the vinegar(fermenting smell) and when they try to land on the surface because of the dish soap they break the surface tension and get stuck in the vinegar and drown. I just killed like 30+ of them in 24 hours with a few cups each holding a few oz of vinegar around my room.

Back